shelf/mounting a TT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a spot to set up the turntable. The only space I have is above my DVD & VCR. I am thinking of a simple shelf that sits over the DVD/VCR then placing the TT on the shelf. (see attachment)

WHat would be the best type of material? MDF:) , slate:eek:

is the heavier the better?

of course I haven't ran this by my wife yet:bigeyes:, she hates cables cords and "riff-raff", although she does love her Sid Barret album:angel: , so it has to be something reasonable.

thanks
Brett

Attachments

• tt-shelf.jpg
    tt-shelf.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 141
I've read of many people who mount their turntables in "sand boxes", sometimes within "drawers." This makes sense, but I wonder if it's optimum, because I also recall hearing vibrations of people walking by when I was at the beach laying on a beach towel - after all sand particles are just little rocks and very hard ones at that.

Maybe "dirt" (potting soil) would be a better dampener? Of course there's the issue of dust control, so it would have to be covered by a fabric skirt. My wife jokes that we can put plants around the edges of the turntable.

Just an idea.

Craig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.