Shure v15 type IV cart question

Hello all,

I have a Shure cartridge that I bought new back in 1978. It has served well through several stylus replacements since then. Recently I had been switching out carts to listen to some different ones and when I swapped the Shure back in I get what sounds like a ground hum. It was not removed from the head shell. There is no ground him when I swap in another head shell and cart. The Shure still plays music but with the ground hum. I tried cleaning the contacts and the stylus insert, hum is present without the stylus installed. Do you think this is the end of the road for the Shure cart, or is there something that I could try to eliminate the hum.

Thanks

I removed the cart from the headshell and tested the resistance between R + RG, and L + LG. R to RG measured 14 M and rising, L to LG measured 1.427 K. It looks like the old V15 finally gave up the ghost. I am a bit disappointed, I only had it for 43 years, boy they sure don't make things to last any more.

Sometimes the act of removing the push-on headshell link cables causes the pin in the cartridge to rotate and breaks the internal connection; happens a bit with Ortofon OM series. Heating the pin with a soldering iron can also cause failure, but you don't have anything to lose so give it a go.

Ok, I gave it a shot with heating, actually got a decent reading out of the right channel, also tested the leads on the headshell, they were fine. But when I remounted and tried the cart, just sound from left and hum from right. All good things must come to an end I suppose. Does anyone have some advise on a new cart that could fill the V15's shoes for a reasonable price? The ortofon red, sumiko pearl, and grado black are in my price range.

Ok, I gave it a shot with heating, actually got a decent reading out of the right channel, also tested the leads on the headshell, they were fine.
Do you mean you measured R to RG and got ~1,400Ω now?

If both channels are reading this at the cartridge pins now, you have another problem.

With the headshell on the tonearm, the following should all be very close to 0Ω, typically <2Ω:

Red R to pin of right channel RCA;
Green RG to sleeve of right channel RCA;
White L to pin of left channel RCA;
Blue LG to sleeve of left channel RCA.

With the headshell off the tonearm there should be no conductivity (∞Ω) between tip and sleeve of wither RCA plug.

The Shure V15 IV you are replacing was a sold as a high end cartridge, many times the price of the ones you're considering as replacements. At the risk of upsetting everyone who owns one, I do not think much of the OM Red; in fact I prefer the old OM10 it replaced. I don't know the others you listed. The OM10 is still available from some suppliers.

My "go to" cartridge that gives seriously good performance for the money is the Denon DL110 high output moving coil, which connects to any phono input without the need for a special MC input, head amp or step up transformer. I've probably setup 30 or more of these on different turntables and arms with very good results over the past few years.

I measured 1400 ohms, but it was not very stable, if I tapped the cart it would shoot up to 15+M. Something has failed in the right coil. I understand all about the V15, I'm the one who bought it back in 1978. I think I paid about $125 bucks at the time, a lot of money. I'm not willing to spend a lot of money for a new cart. Most of my music is digital, and played through a music server, or streamed from the net. Still it is fun to spin records for nostalgic reasons. Currently I'm using an old acutex that I had as a backup and it's not bad, but not the equal of the V15. I'm only willing to spend about $100 bucks or so for a new cart and I narrowed the field down to these candidates based on price and web reviews. I understand that they most probably won't equal the V15.

You might attempt a last ditch effort. Lead out wires can corrode at the solder joint. I have fixed tweeters with this issue, prompted by an environment near the ocean. The intermittent resistance reading suggests salvage might be possible. The top of the cartridge will need to be removed. If there is enough slack, the problem connection can re-soldered. Otherwise splice in a new piece from a strand of ground braid. Heat and solder should penetrate the insulation.

Getting into the cartridge will be a challenge, but it looks like the mount can be separated from the motor section. The alternative is to Dremel the top of the cartridge above the pins. Unless you want it as an art piece, prepare to take drastic measures and call upon your DIY skills. Damaged parts can also be remade.

The internal wires will snap if you are not careful. As these were probably hand soldered in the first place, it should be achievable. USB microscopes are fairly cheap and will help considerably. If it is any encouragement, I have resurrected a number of 'non-salvageable' items. Even when I have failed, the experience was useful for the next time.

The Shure V15 IV you are replacing was a sold as a high end cartridge, many times the price of the ones you're considering as replacements. At the risk of upsetting everyone who owns one, I do not think much of the OM Red; in fact I prefer the old OM10 it replaced. I don't know the others you listed. The OM10 is still available from some suppliers.

Hey, I thought we were friends!

:D;)

I couldn't take the Shure apart, so in the trash it went. My spare cart. An old acutex is not in the same league, much less detail and highs, sounds like a blanket over the music. I bought a new At VM95-ml to replace it. Wow what a huge improvement, even better than the Shure. Really sounds fantastic, using it with my old Sony PS LX3 turntable. It's the best sound that I've heard out of it to date.