Vinyl Passion Revolution psu for Linn LP12

Has anyone used this yet ?

On paper it looks good but I wanted real life opinions :)

An alternative is also Stack Audio's Alto power supply but I am a bit skeptical about closed loop synchronous motor control. There is no need to feedback a synch motor as long as the supply frequency is stable. So, I am in two minds about it.

So, if anyone has any opinions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

On paper it looks good

Not sure what's so good about it. A similar topology can and has been diyed rather cheaply. This is way overpriced for what it is.

A comparison to a Lingo would certainly be interesting. Placing the controller right under the platter like a Valhalla does not seem like a great idea. At the time some users were moving the Valhalla into it's own remote enclosure and reported improved sound. The introduction of noise from the micro in the close vicinity of the cartridge is also a questionable improvement. Hopefully there are no class D amps on that board.

Hi, It's nice to see Linn finally accepting DC driven T/T's sound better. But I think you may get more luck posting this question on Audiogon. As this is DIYaudio, I think most people will attempt to build some for 20% of the cost. At least that's what the parts would cost.

Cheers

I am totally against closed loop DC motors for turntables. They are always hunting for the correct speed. Furthermore, most DC motors are brushed, which is always a source of noise & maintenance issues.

I am Only interested in synchronous motors.

I have one in my LP12 (replaced an old Valhalla). It is beautifully made and has worked flawlessly. Mine was a very early one and it has a small annoyance in operation.

Press once to get a blue light on power button and spins up to 33. Once at 33 you can then press again to get green light and spins up to 45. So my annoyance is when playing LP’s at 33 (99% of the time this is the case) to turn off the table I have to press power button to go to 45 rpm and WAIT (ok, just a few seconds) for it to get to 45 before button will work to power off.

BUT, I also installed a newer one (last month) in a friends table and they have updated the operation method of the PSU and it now works better (you can turn off easily from 33).

Not tried the Stack model but from website it is unclear to me if it works as priced or it needs an external PSU to power it?

Just a note regarding if an internal PSU is a good idea or not. It might be better performance can be got with an external unit but the simplification of having an internal PSU is just too attractive to many (I for one) for it to be a concern. I also use an internal phono (Naim Prefix) for the same reason. Yes an external could be better but the Prefix saves me on box count so I get to stay married :)

Reactions: 1 user
This is my review posted on The Missing Link page a coupe of weeks ago:

I've just installed a Vinyl Passion Revolution power supply for a client. Very impressed!

The Vinyl Passion Revolution power supply is a great upgrade for a turntable of the Linn LP12 style, and could be adapted to any turntable running a similar 110 volt, 250 / 300 rpm 16 pole motor.

The nice thing is that it ramps up the supply on startup so there is no motor cogging or need for a clutch or push start. It does this by feeds variable voltage and frequency to the turntable motor to gently ramp up to speed.

Unlike some other aftermarket turntable supplies, the Vinyl Passion Revolution power supply keeps the correct phase relationship between the two motor windings at both 33⅓ & 45 speeds, which means that the torque characteristic is optimum on both speeds for minimal cogging and the wow and flutter that causes.

A single LED backlit pushbutton switch replaces the old power switch. To start the turntable press and release the button. Once started press and momentarily hold the button to shift to 45 rpm. On selecting 45 the frequency gently ramps up so there is no jerk on speed change.

Allow a few seconds for the platter speed to stabilise after selecting either speed. Speed is indicated by the LED which lights blue for 33⅓ rpm and green for 45 rpm. A press of the button stops the turntable from either speed.

The Vinyl Passion Revolution power supply is a well executed and well made design and capable of much better performance than the standard resistor/capacitor supply on many turntables.​

What I omitted to mention in my review is that after a time interval to allow the platter to get to speed, the voltage to the motor is lowered. This reduces torque cogging and also reduces EMI fields, meaning less rumble and hum are induced in the pickup.

I have repaired Valhalla and Hercules II power supplies and am well aware of design shortcomings in both. This is a much better design.

Last edited: