DIY Ultrasonic Cleaner (Vinyl) - Filter Fibers Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All,

For the past 6 months I've been working on a project to build my own Ultrasonic Vinyl Cleaning machine.

To summarize: it works very well. I bought a 6L Ultrasonic tank, built my own motor assembly for rotating the vinyl in the liquid and piped the tank drainage through a pump and 10inch water filter for filtration.

However, (and this is where I need help), I'm having issues with small 'fibers' in my cleaning liquid after filtration. I've tried a number of different brands and types of filters (also different grades), but I keep having the same problem.

The fibers are very small, you really need to look hard at the liquid to see them, however, they are there and they are numerous. Even using 0.2 micron filters cause the same problem.

Any ideas what is happening? Alternatively, does anyone have a suggested brand / make of filter that I should try?

I live in Europe, so I'm kind of limited by what's available here.

Cheers,

Fish

Hey, thanks for the response. I am quite confident that the fibers are from the filters themselves. I have left the pump running on loop for hours and the water looks the same.

Also, as I said, Ive used filters from 1 micron to 0.2 microns, I shouldn't be able to see anything with my eye after the water is filtered.

It sounds like your filter media is breaking down. This should not be happening if you are only pumping water. Are you using a standard household water filter canister or something smaller that is designed for low flow applications? I only have experience in lab and commercial systems. The filters I have used with good results are made by Pentek. I’m not sure if they will fit the housing you have.

what's in your cleaning solution? And please provide the brand and exact type of filter you're using.
Best regards,
B B

Hey there,

I use 96% distilled water, 3.9 isopropylalcohol and 0.1% Tergitol (or less).

In terms of filters I've used, there have been a variety but most have been pleated or spun polypropylene filters... I've tried everything from 5 microns to 0.1 micron filters.

I have also tried many brands. I live in Germany, so I have to rely upon what's available here.

Cheers

It sounds like your filter media is breaking down. This should not be happening if you are only pumping water. Are you using a standard household water filter canister or something smaller that is designed for low flow applications? I only have experience in lab and commercial systems. The filters I have used with good results are made by Pentek. I’m not sure if they will fit the housing you have.

Great questions.

I use a standard 10" water filter housing that people would use to filter their home drinking water.

As I noted above, my solution isn't just water, there is a small amount of Isopropylalcohol as well as a very small amount of Tergitol.

I've read that people use Pentek but I don't know if they are available in Germany (where I live).

I'd do that if Tergitol wasn't so expensive to import into Germany.

Also, I'm fairly time poor, so I typically only get to clean a few records at a time when I do, which means I would be wasting a lot of cleaning fluid if I simply chucked it out every time I used it. It makes more sense to filter and reuse the fluid.

Everything I've read tells me that filtration is important.

Great questions.

I use a standard 10" water filter housing that people would use to filter their home drinking water.

As I noted above, my solution isn't just water, there is a small amount of Isopropylalcohol as well as a very small amount of Tergitol.

I've read that people use Pentek but I don't know if they are available in Germany (where I live).

Just a thought- Have you run the filter for a while with just water flowing. Perhaps you are dealing with some initial fibre release from the filter. In that case if you were to run some water through it, the problem should go away. Sort of like a break in period.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It takes hundreds of gallons of well-water before a 10" string-wound filter flows clean. And you sure do not need 10GPM at low head like a whole-house water filter. IMHO it is not a good choice for filtering "precious" water. I would look for an all-plastic car fuel filter. No, your LPs are not dirtier than an old car's tank; anyway the filter is $5 to replace.

Attachments

• Purolator-42.jpg
    Purolator-42.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 5-filters-42.jpg
    5-filters-42.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Just a thought- Have you run the filter for a while with just water flowing. Perhaps you are dealing with some initial fibre release from the filter. In that case if you were to run some water through it, the problem should go away. Sort of like a break in period.

It takes hundreds of gallons of well-water before a 10" string-wound filter flows clean. And you sure do not need 10GPM at low head like a whole-house water filter. IMHO it is not a good choice for filtering "precious" water. I would look for an all-plastic car fuel filter. No, your LPs are not dirtier than an old car's tank; anyway the filter is $5 to replace.

Hey PPR, just to confirm, are you saying that the run-in time for these types of filters is really long?

@BFPCA: I did try running-in my latest filter for about 20mins before use. Maybe it wasn't long enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.