Cassette deck automatic track finder issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, in some cassette decks, there was a function to go to the beginning of the next track or the previous and thus providing a CD-like track change. This required a small 4 seconds blank to be left between tracks.

The read head reads the tape during this process and the tape moves at fast speed, a little less than when rewinding.

My consideration is if the high speed tape passing through the head will deteriorate the tape and the head over time, or even magnetize the head more?

Please share your comments if you know this.

In the old Philips and the very old Sony system there is an air gap between the tape and the head to avoid any extra wear.
If the head is not magnetised, which is should not be, there is no risk to the tape.

Oh, I haven't thought that the head may not actually come in physical contact with the tape during this operation. The model is the Teac V-5010, maybe you could help, instead of me having to take the door apart and see what's going on there?

The manuals for it are here.
http://qrp.gr/hfe_teac_v-5010_7010_service.pdf
http://qrp.gr/hfe_teac_v-5010_7010_en.pdf

The Teac had a Sony mechanism I think. You cannot 'see' the gap. It is caused by air and only a few thou in gap, if that. A worn head will cause issues.

I have removed the front plastic cover of the door of the deck to see what's going on. It seems that during this track-select operation the head does touch the tape. However, it does not push itself hard against the tape and the metal tension spring which is built into the cassette.
If I switch between play and track-select, the head clearly moves away from the cassette tension spring on track-select, but the tape still touches the head.
I cannot see if it touches this metal spring at all, but because of this behaviour it seems to me possible that they may have taken care of the higher speed tape passing onto the head.

What do you think?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A PC hard-drive spins constantly, but does not wear, because at these speeds the head "flies" on a cushion of air.

Normal tape speed is slightly too low to "fly". Fast-forward is probably "flight".

I have never seen hard-wear on cassette half as bad as I have seen on reel machines, probably because the normal Play speed is so low.

A PC hard-drive spins constantly, but does not wear, because at these speeds the head "flies" on a cushion of air.

Normal tape speed is slightly too low to "fly". Fast-forward is probably "flight".

I have never seen hard-wear on cassette half as bad as I have seen on reel machines, probably because the normal Play speed is so low.

That makes me suspicious that the higher "play" speed in this function could be destructive, no matter the lighter pressure on the tape during this operation. Probably it is too difficult to answer if one doesn't own a sony or similar deck and use this function for ages...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.