DIY Turtable Hum/Buzz issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"""" Lock the arm down into position and turn up the volume till you hear some hum. Slowly bring you hand near the tone arm. If the hum increases, lack of shielded wires inside the arm, OR a non-metal arm may be the cause. If it is a metal tone arm, and you touch it, WITHOUT touching anything else with either hand, and the hum increases, the metal TONE arm is likely not grounded, and needs to be. It needs a wire from its metal base that runs to the preamp ground, and connects there along with the tone arm wiring ground wire."""

From table above my Thorens td 280 acting with same story , as you see the cables are twisted ,when i pull out the TT from my phone stage this little little noise it's gone .
when I close my finger on the head then the noise grows.
The signal after the phone stage amplified by 6V6 Salas as preamp.
It seems there is an extra cable inside the TT as Gnd this following the 4 twisted signal cables inside the tone arm.

Attachments

• IMGP0011.jpg
    IMGP0011.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMGP0019.jpg
    IMGP0019.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMGP0002.jpg
    IMGP0002.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 716409d1542614857-phonoclone-vsps-pcb-help-desk-img_20181118_124856-jpg.jpg
    716409d1542614857-phonoclone-vsps-pcb-help-desk-img_20181118_124856-jpg.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190213_194600(1).jpg
    IMG_20190213_194600(1).jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
UPDATE:
Sorry to everyone that contributed but I've slacked around with the project I've just gone back to it few days ago, after changing all the wiring as previously discussed now the turntable is wired as following:

- Cartridge to tonearm base -> twisted wires with gold plated connectors to the cartridge and female RCAs
- Tonearm base to preamp input -> 0.4m double shielded RCA cable
- Tonearm output to ampli -> 0.5m double shielded RCA cable

Conclusion: the buzzing decreased slightly but was sill there, pretty much no difference, so I scratched my head and out of ideas I hooked up a meter of single core copper wire to the preamp chassis ground screw and I chucked it inside the earth slot in the power outlet and boom that brought the buzzing down by quite a fair bit, now the buzzing starts to come up from let's say 75% of the volume.

I consider myself pretty happy with the results I've obtained and I can live with it, but I feel there is a bit more that I could do to improve it, if it can help when I touch the metal part of the cartridge the buzzing increases as well as if I touch it with a paper clip.

Thoughts? Bad Cartridge not helping the cause?

"""" Lock the arm down into position and turn up the volume till you hear some hum. Slowly bring you hand near the tone arm. If the hum increases, lack of shielded wires inside the arm, OR a non-metal arm may be the cause. If it is a metal tone arm, and you touch it, WITHOUT touching anything else with either hand, and the hum increases, the metal TONE arm is likely not grounded, and needs to be. It needs a wire from its metal base that runs to the preamp ground, and connects there along with the tone arm wiring ground wire."""

From table above my Thorens td 280 acting with same story , as you see the cables are twisted ,when i pull out the TT from my phone stage this little little noise it's gone .
when I close my finger on the head then the noise grows.
The signal after the phone stage amplified by 6V6 Salas as preamp.
It seems there is an extra cable inside the TT as Gnd this following the 4 twisted signal cables inside the tone arm.

Sorry I haven't been in the forum for sometime and I missed your post, I want to thank you for your contribution, I didn't need to turn the volume up to hear the buzz trust me it felt like i hooked up my speakers to the power line hahaha

Jokes apart I'm not sure if you followed all the topic but there is a part where I explain that even if I connect the cartridge on the table withe 5cm of wire it buzzes, though I would exclude that the buzzing has anything to do with the turntable itself because the buzzing is happening away from the turntable if you get what I mean, also I have no space in the tonearm to run shielded wires.

What would you say?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.