24V AC Hurst motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am changing my Linn to run with a 24V Hurst motor to reduce high voltages in the chassis.

However, to reduce the vibration, just like the original Premotec motor is run at a reduced voltage from a Valhalla board (85V), I want to reduce the Hurst motor voltage to about 19-20 Volts.

In Hurst specs (motor 3009-002), the recommended phase splitter cap is specified at 5.7uF.

The motor is 3 watts at 24 volt meaning it draws about 125mA under steady state conditions. So, if I use a 40 ohm resistor at 0.5 watts minimum, I think I can get the 19 volts across the motor.

However, I am not sure if the current draw stays the same now that the motor is running with lower voltage. Also, would the phase shift cap needs to be recalculated.

Does anyone have any idea approx what these values should be ?

Thanks

3W at 24V implies a winding resistance of 192Ω, which would require a 51Ω resistor to drop the motor voltage to 19VAC. 51Ω at 6V will dissipate 0.7W; you should use a 2W resistor at a minimum, 3-5W would be better.

Hurst won't even give you formula for determining the capacitor value. I think it is done by empirical methods: find a value that guarantees motor start up under load in the correct direction and that gives the lowest vibration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.