Crazy linear tracking turntable idea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if there is any commercial product having a fixed tonearm and a moving platter underneath.

The tonearm could be short and ultra rigid, weight is non-issue. It does not need to move in either plane (apart from following record warp and off-centre). Lifting could be done by moving the whole platter up/down under the cartridge. A servo could move the platter horizontally by sensing azimuth error somehow.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sony made a number of CD/SACD players that do this.. I have one, unlike a record there are focusing and tracking signals to keep the sled moving in synchronism with the tracks on the disk.

Given the mass of the platter and other bits, plus the need to sense tangency of the arm to the groove I think it would be difficult to keep things aligned.

Sort of a reverse Rabco driving the platter rather than the arm. It's probably not insurmountable, but it doesn't seem like the best path to the desired result.

Transcriptor Transcriber turntable

I wonder if there is any commercial product having a fixed tonearm and a moving platter underneath.

I mentioned the Transcriptor Transcriber turntable in my post in another thread before. If you search "Trascriber turntable" in Google Images, you will find many pictures that fit your description.

Transcriptors-Transcriber-Turntable.jpg

1542332-transcriber-by-transcriptors-turntable.jpg

transcriberturntable.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.