phono stage overload

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
There are several ways to measure the overload limit.

The easiest one is to apply a 1kHz sinewave to the input and gradually increase its amplitude until the output changes from a pure sinewave to a clipped sinewave. The input amplitude (measured RMS) which just barely produces output clipping, is considered to be the overload limit.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's basic audio math.

Figure the maximum level each stage can handle.

Figure the gain and loss through the system.

Active and passive can give the same overloads.

Do you actually have an overload problem? Despite a 1980s spec-race resulting in incredible numbers, phono outputs are usually no-problem. When it is, it is usually Excess Gain: when I built a gain of 300 preamp it overloaded, but only on one disk.

PRR, I think the same as you. Difficult to overload a phono stage, but I see in some specifications (Marantz PM6006 has 100mV overload value), (Aiwa C50 preamplifier has 200mV), and then I wondered.
Is that despite the fact that my integrated amplifier already has phono stage, I use interchangeably the Muffsy kit and the VSPS400 kit, both DIY.
Not having the value of overloading them, I was left with the doubt

PRR, I think the same as you. Difficult to overload a phono stage, but I see in some specifications (Marantz PM6006 has 100mV overload value), (Aiwa C50 preamplifier has 200mV), and then I wondered.
Is that despite the fact that my integrated amplifier already has phono stage, I use interchangeably the Muffsy kit and the VSPS400 kit, both DIY.
Not having the value of overloading them, I was left with the doubt

If the AT440MLB capsule in 1khz delivers 4mV, I suppose that in 20khz it will deliver 20dB more if there is information there.
What would happen if in that area of 20khz there was a peak or increase in intensity of the music.
I ask, an IC as OPA 2134, how much you accept in your positive entry without saturating.
What gain should this first stage have? Normally it is around 30.
times at 1 khz and there would be 120mV at its output. With the passive RIAA network in 1khz, it would drop 0 dB, that is, it would still be 120mV, which would enter the second stage with gain 30 and at its output there would be 3.6V.
All good, but if in the first stage there was a signal peak of 50mV for example, all the values would be multiplied by 12 and at the input of the second IC there would be 1.44V. (at its exit 43 v)
My question, the IC does not saturate with that entry level ?.
I ask because I can not find what is the maximum level that accepts the OPA2134 IC, without saturating.
Greetings and apology for the dizziness caused.

ALPUY said:
If the AT440MLB capsule in 1khz delivers 4mV, I suppose that in 20khz it will deliver 20dB more if there is information there.
"If" is the important word. If you look at the spectrum of real music you will see that there is much less signal at 20kHz than 2kHz. How much less depends on the type of music.

You can assume that most opamps can approach the supply rails before clipping.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I can not find what is the maximum level that accepts the OPA2134 IC

Input limit depends on the gain.

Output on a chip will usually swing nearly the full supply. At +/-15V, call it 10V max output.

Then for gain of 30, max input is 300mV.

If you actually had 3.6V at 20KHz coming out, your ears and tweeters would melt. However the "trackability" limits of pickups (also the ratings of cutters) go along with the typical sonic spectrum and fall-off in the top half of the audio band.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.