Phono preamplifier load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I think I've already asked this question, but I can not find the link.
I have a Marantz PM6006 integrated amplifier, with integrated phono stage.
I have built several phono kits and I have seen several phono pre circuits from other manufacturers, but I have never seen this MM cartridge load configuration that the Marantz PM6006 has (the value of the choke is not specified).
My question is how this load configuration interacts with the cartridge (AT440MLb, 490mH and 3200 ohms).
I appreciate if someone who is knowledgeable in this topic can explain it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Of course I have disarmed the Marantz to get photos.

Last edited:
I see when simulating in LTSpice, an important fall between 10khz and 20khz (approximately to 11 dB).
Can it be related to the RF filter?
15mea6a.jpg

dvhrf5.jpg

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> It is certainly 320µH

Which is "nothing" compared to Alpuy's 490mH pickup.

And is only 40 Ohms at 20KHz, so no effect in a 47K circuit.

With the 200pFd present, 320uH resonates at 630KHz, and will fall 12dB through the broadcast band and beyond. As you say, an RF filter.

Anyway that doughnut is too darn small to do anything to a high impedance audio circuit.

AT440MLb

Coil impedance : 3,200 ohms at 1 kHz
DC resistance : 800
Load Capacitance : 100-200pF
Coil inductance (mH, 1 kHz) : 490
Dynamic compliance (x10-6 cm/dyne) : 10
Static compliance (x10-6 cm/dyne) : 40
Vertical tracking angle : 20-degree
Dimensions (mm) : H 17.3 x W 16.0 x D 28.2
Weight (g) : 6.5

Frequency Response 20-25,000 Hz
Channel Separation 28 (dB at 1 kHz)
Tracking Force Range 1.0-1.8 grams (1.4 optimal)
Stylus Construction 0.12 mil Nude
square Micro-Linear
stylus
Recommended Load Impedance 47,000 ohms
Output 4.0 (mV, 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
Channel Balance 1.0 (dB at 1 KHz)
Stylus Shape MicroLine®
Cantilever Aluminum Pipe
Mount Half-inch
Replacement Stylus ATN440M

Last edited:
I see when simulating in LTSpice, an important fall between 10khz and 20khz (approximately to 11 dB).

I would say that more than 400 pF of capacitive load is a more likely reason.

You should try removing C4001 from the simulation as a start - and also from the amplifier, to check if you hear the change in sound.

From my personal experience - capacitive load 200 pF vs 400 pF is audible.

I have thought about that exactly. the AT440MLb charges with 100-200 pF. Only the turntable cable has 125 pF. Probably simulate without the load capacitors and then remove them from the circuit. I have several DIY phono pre and. inguno has charge capacitance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.