Turntable speed help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a near mint Sansui turntable FR-3060
When I tried to use it the belt was lose
So I got a new belt. With the old and with the NEW belt the speed is way to fast. For the 33.5 speed it’s at 44 plus and at 45 it’s at 52plus speed. I’m using the iPhone app RPM and everything I have found about this app is that it’s pretty close to being spot on
The table even has spare capstan and I installed it, the old one had some old belt rubber on it. And after replacing the capstan the speed is even faster. I can’t find any info online other the people saying they had or have the same problem and the would rap Black electrical tape around the platter belt ring and some had somewhat good luck at getting the speed down to 33.5
I don’t really care to do this band-Aid fix
I like to find out if there is some type of resister or capacitor or something on the motor speed control board that I could replace to get the speed back under control to its proper speed’s.

The FR-3060 service manual is downloadable from here:

SANSUI FR-3060 TURNTABLE Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts

The capstan is driven by a 4-pole synchronous motor, the speed of which is determined by the frequency of the ac supply.

The motor circuit is shown on page 7.5. It appears to be driven directly from the ac mains supply, which woud mean that the motor speed is fixed and not adjustable. Indeed the service manual does not mention any facility to alter the speed of the motor.

The manual only mentions the following four reasons for incorrect speed:

1. Improper capstan.
  2. Improper setting of capstan.
  3. Dirty capstan.
  4. Stretched belt.
I can only suggest you investigate the 2nd reason - can the setting of the capstan be altered?

As has been said above your turntable has a 4 pole synchronous motor, which will run at 1800 rpm on a 60Hz supply, and 1500rpm on a 50 Hz (european) supply.
The two capstans you have, are they the same nominal size? if not you need to fit the smaller of the two for use in the US. There is no rational reason why the 33rpm speed should be 30% or more out, but the 45rpm only 15% or so in error.
The error caused by using a 50Hz capstan would be 20% in both cases, so around 40rpm instead of 33.3, and 54 rpm for 45rpm.
Hopefully the other capstan, the one with rubber on it, is the correct one, and just needs cleaning with thinners or similar before refitting.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there!

Re-reading the post, it looks like the OP was unaware of the 50Hz/60Hz capstan choice, as he simply spoke of a 'spare' capstan.

Awaiting his response with baited breath!

The manual does not say if the spare capstan is for 50 or 60hz. It is set for 60hz and the only way to change it is to unscrew and remove a flat bar and then push the button for changing it
As for the capstan I used my jewelers millimeter caliper and measured that everything were the same exact measurements between the two only difference was the one with the burnt rubber on it I will go through this service manual I do believe that it is either a resistor diode capacitor or something like that that is out of whack and I appreciate the link for the manual for in the service repair manual I’ll dig through this thing and get it all taken care of it weighs over 20 pounds and is a beautiful turntable I’ve always had a fondness to SSansui gear
I will take a few, we’ll I really mean a lot of before and after photos and post them

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is a 120V/240V switch. Is it set right??

Normally a wrong-voltage on an AC motor results in over-heating, not mis-speed; but 2X wrong may get into odd nonlinear effects.

There's caps but they are all about switch arc-suppression, not speed control. It is just a dumb old electric clock, oversized with different gearing (belting).

I do believe that it is either a resistor diode capacitor or something like that that is out of whack.
As PRR says, the resistors and capacitors you can see in the service manual have nothing to do with setting the speed, and there are no diodes or transistors.

As has been said, the speed is set by the frequency of the ac supply and the diameter of the capstan.

To reiterate, incorrect speed is due to one of four things:

1. Fitting the wrong capstan
  2. The belt running on the wrong section of the capstan
  3. A build up of rubber on the capstan
  4. A floppy belt
Your solution must lie in rectifying one of these four problems!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.