Hinges for the lid for my Turntable - Pioneer PLX 1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am new to this forum. Seeking some advice and guidance to help me relieve my pain.

My Pioneer PLX 1000 sounds great to me. However, the lid does not have any hinge, so I have to manually remove the lid for playing and place it back again after playing , and all done manually , which is a big big pain.

Do you happen to know how I can solve this so that the lid can be attached to the 'table with hinges and the lid holds still on its own. I know that Tehcnics Sl-1200 series has the same thing. But its lid has some kind of settings already that can be modified, but I am not sure of this Pioneer PLX 1000.

PLEASE HELP ME !!

tareq2163,
Instead of fixing hinges to the turntable which would require drilling original Pioneer chassis why not have a one and half inch thick panel of wood/mdf. This would serve as a extra plinth on which you can place your turntable. And you can attach dust cover and hinges to this new panel.
Regards.

Like this...

Attachments

• plinth.jpg
    plinth.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 363
Hi Tareq2163,
didn't knew you had original dustcover. Yes you can DIY acrylic dustcover attached to wooden panel. I guess it will isolate the turntable. You can rest your DIY dust cover on rubber pad on wooden panel to further isolate the turntable from room acoustics. Original dustcover can be safely stored away for future need if any. Idea is not to modify original dustcover and turntable. :)
Regards.

FWIW, if anyone is still wondering about this, I upgraded to the PLX from my AudioTechnica LP120. Since both tables are 1200 clones, the AudioTechnica dust cover fit the Pioneer perfectly. I just used “Scotch Extremely Strong Mounting Strips” and stuck the hinges onto the back of the Pioneer deck. All I did was unscrew the hinge brackets from the back of the AudioTechnica, set the hinges into the channels (they just sit in the brackets loose), and cut the mounting strips to length with an xacto knife. Even the width of the strips is perfect. You just set the strips right to the back of the bracket and then stick it onto the Pioneer. The main thing is that you have to use TWO of the mounting strips per bracket, not one. The fit isn’t 100% flush due to the angle of the plinth on the back of the Pioneer, so you need two strips to allow for a little give in the adhesion. For home listening, this is a terrific solution as it holds well, and you can still take the hinges off if you absolutely have to later on. It also doesn’t put holes in your deck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.