TPA Retro vs Passdiy Pearl 2...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm still a relative DIY newbie and am looking to build a solid state phono preamp from a kit. I've been looking at the Twisted Pear Audio Retro and the Passdiy Pearl 2.

Just wondering if there are any general opinions on the two preamps. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Retro as its balanced (and I'll have to mod my table as well) and there's no mention of it being inverting. I think the cost may also be less than the Pearl 2. I haven't found any comparative sound impressions though.

I know that this will probably be a 'build both and let us know what you think' thread, but I was wondering whether there were any general opinions.

Thanks!
Taz.

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I currently use MM carts, but am considering picking up a DL301ii for my Rega TT. I'd be equally happy with MM levels of gain and Cinemag transformers, but MC levels of gain are fine too.

I'm not really too fussed anyway, as I'm sure either will be of adequate quality. I guess I'm just looking for some guidance on which one to go for. I'll probably go the Pearl 2 as there seems to be a lot of positive feedback on here about it.

Thanks again!
Taz.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The pearl2 is not ideally suited to MM as it is really an MC stage, with TP you have different versions depending on cart impedance. The Salas is another option which should do equally well.

If you think the DL103 is your 'final' cartridge destination any of those 3 should give you great pleasure.

I built and use the salas phono with a ortofon 2m bronze (mm). It is fantastic. The salas stage can only be built mm or mc dedicated...the mm and mc versions use diffeent voltage rails. You could do mm with a sut.

I would also look at the paradise phono stage (mc only).

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The pearl2 is not ideally suited to MM as it is really an MC stage, with TP you have different versions depending on cart impedance. The Salas is another option which should do equally well.

If you think the DL103 is your 'final' cartridge destination any of those 3 should give you great pleasure.

Have you tried one? I have and it is fantastic with all my cartridges, including MM. Gain is adjustable, I use standard parts for standard gain.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have you measured the frequency response of your MM connected to it?

Unlike many, I listen to my components and dont "measure" them. I have listened to plenty. I assume you have not listened to one. I also assume you havent measured one. Am I wrong? The last person I got in this diatribe with has measured one every which way...but alas, never listened to it. Another detractor "Simulated" it...Have you heard or measured one? Wayne (Originator at Pass Labs) has, I'll go with his findings, rather than those who just repeat internet fodder they have no direct knowledge of...

I think I may try the Salas unit.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the comments guys. Possibly against my better judgement I'm going against the established option and jumping on the Salas GB.

Maybe 6L6 will have a build guide by the time I get it *hint hint*. :) :)

Thanks!
Taz.

Please keep all advised, this one interests me as well. I dont know if 6L6 will find time to do a build guide on it, from my conversations with him from the Pass forum, I glean he really, really likes phono sections, has has quite a pile of "yet to be built" ones on tap....

The Salas stuff is always well regarded and I am sure it will generate a sufficient thread to build a unit.

Russellc

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Unlike many, I listen to my components and dont "measure" them. I have listened to plenty. I assume you have not listened to one. I also assume you havent measured one. Am I wrong? The last person I got in this diatribe with has measured one every which way...but alas, never listened to it. Another detractor "Simulated" it...Have you heard or measured one? Wayne (Originator at Pass Labs) has, I'll go with his findings, rather than those who just repeat internet fodder they have no direct knowledge of...

Russellc

If you want flat frequency response you are wrong. Most MMs are all over the shop as standard these days and the RC loading is critical. If you are happy with whatever curve you have ended up with then fine, but sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'la la I can't hear you' does run the risk of being very suboptimal.

I last ran MM in the 80s and yes I did measure the frequency response. I am building a second turntable up which will be MM so have been revisiting the requirements for a good MM stage and have realised that 99% of phono stages out there get the cartridge loading badly wrong. The pearl2 is an excellent MC stage, but unless you are running a grado or have a cartrige with a huge cantilever resonance that needs taming (say shure M75 with Jico SAS) you could be way out in places.

Have a look here https://sites.google.com/site/zevaudio/turt/cartridge-comparison-list/audio-technica-at440mla . David has done some great work on characterizing cartridges and this plot is a good example of the potential problems. You can see why some people would say the AT440 was bright.

But you might like that sort of FR, and I won't argue with you on that. Your system, your enjoyment, your choice :)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you want flat frequency response you are wrong. Most MMs are all over the shop as standard these days and the RC loading is critical. If you are happy with whatever curve you have ended up with then fine, but sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'la la I can't hear you' does run the risk of being very suboptimal.

So you have not listened to or measured the Pearl 2 right?

Talk about La la .......how did you measure it? BTW I don't La la with fingers in ear, it disturbs the listening. My point is, things that measure flat don't necessarily sound good, nor does lowest distortion. This was discovered with the "P3" pot on the newer Pass amps...setting it to lowest distortion left it quick and clean but no soul. One could say those seeking it (flattest response and lowest distortions) are also listening with fingers in ears as well, no?

Tell how you measure and I will endeavor, but that wont change result...Although one member has measured and suggested resistor changes for flatter response, has a unit on test bench but apparently hasn't listened to it in either mode...Like I said, I will try. I have tried the with a Shure, V15Vxmr, Ortofon Super OM-30, and a HOMC, SAE 1000LT ( which required a zobel network).

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the comments guys. Possibly against my better judgement I'm going against the established option and jumping on the Salas GB.

Thanks!
Taz.

I have queried Teabag about the buy. Which boxes do I check on his chart? Seems there are more than one project going on.

Russellc

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Maybe 6L6 will have a build guide by the time I get it *hint hint*.

Lol... That would be nice, huh... :) Probably not, it's pretty far down in the queue. It's a really interesting project, and is going to be completed by me sometime... Just not sure when.

I don't know if 6L6 will find time to do a build guide on it, from my conversations with him from the Pass forum, I glean he really, really likes phono sections, has has quite a pile of "yet to be built" ones on tap....

Yep. I have 2 phono projects in various stages of completion, as well as collecting parts for a third.

It's a sickness, I think... :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So you have not listened to or measured the Pearl 2 right?

Talk about La la .......how did you measure it? BTW I don't La la with fingers in ear, it disturbs the listening. My point is, things that measure flat don't necessarily sound good, nor does lowest distortion.

Test record and oscilloscope. I am not talking about measuring the pearl2, but the combined effect of cartridge and pearl2. MM in general requires very low input capacitance, which 4 paralleled input devices will not give. They do however give superlative low noise performance.

But you clearly neither want a flat response nor to know how far out you are. And that's fine. But the fact remains that the Pearl2 may have issues with high inductance moving coils and someone who is chosing a phono stage should be made aware of that so they can make a reasoned choice.

Thanks!
Taz.

Salas has provided a very good build guide, it's on the first page of the "Simplistic NJFET RIAA" thread. You want the "Official PCB version" build guide.

Or if you need help just ask...I did my salas phono the hard way.

Attachments

• 20141220_220601.jpg
    20141220_220601.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 278

Russellc

Diatribor -c'est moi

Horses for courses. The Pearl II is fine for MC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.