TPA Retro vs Passdiy Pearl 2...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The TPA has gain of 60dB and the simulated RIAA response is excellent. For an MC cartridge I think you'd do really well. The price, at $75 for a stereo pair almost makes it compelling.

Which one is the TPA? I assume this not the Salas unit? Please advise, I'm itching to build something I already have a case for! (It's a phono pre I'm guessing)

P.S. I see, twisted pear....http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/linestages/retro.aspx

I dont quite understand balanced here however, as no phono carts I am aware of are balanced...does it just convert a single ended input to balanced output? Balanced is interesting, I am collecting parts for dual mono block Pass Balanced BA-3 amps, and will soon start my Pumpkin-Shunty kit, also balanced, line stage and symmetrical power supply.

Will the TPA function Single ended? PS: I see that it will...

"While Retro is designed for balanced wiring or your cartridge, it will also support standard single-ended input wiring (by tying -IN to GND), and still provide balanced output".

Where they say "or" do they mean "for" maybe?

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Test record and oscilloscope. I am not talking about measuring the pearl2, but the combined effect of cartridge and pearl2. MM in general requires very low input capacitance, which 4 paralleled input devices will not give. They do however give superlative low noise performance.

But you clearly neither want a flat response nor to know how far out you are. And that's fine. But the fact remains that the Pearl2 may have issues with high inductance moving coils and someone who is chosing a phono stage should be made aware of that so they can make a reasoned choice.

It had a huge issue with my SAE HOMC, crazy stuff comes out. A simple zobel cured all. As an aside, live music isnt flat, rooms listened in also affect that, and horror of horrors (really) if you have your hearing professionally checked, it too will be far from flat...which really is a bummer and the idea bothers me more than the Phono pre curve!

Russellc

Last edited:
6L6, what is your final impression after building both phono stage? Anyone else? I would love to know the difference between the pearl 2 and the Salas' phono stage. Father's day is coming up so is my opportunity to ask for a gift!

I do have Cornet 2. My carts are, Denon 103, Stanton CS100, and Benz Micro Gold which I use with SUT. I am slowing moving away from tubes, getting lazy.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Which “both phono stage”? The Pearl 2 and the Salas? The twisted pear? The Millett LR phono? Muffsy? Hagerman? Bench RIAA 5? Aikido?

I’m not the guy to make comparisons. I like them all and they all have their own strengths.

I will say that there is a fresh Salas PCB available through Tea-Bag and I’ll be making a guide for it sooner rather than later, and Pfarrell will be making a chassis you’ll be able to get through Modushop. It’s going to be cool, and I really, really like the Salas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.