rega's upgrade kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMO simply the older your Rega and the higher the amount of
use the more sense this makes. They could have offered an
upgrade kit that didn't need a new motor...... cheap true, but it
wouldn't make the dealers any money....................................

:) sreten.

I installed the new motor on my Planar 3 (one of the older brushed-metal finished Regas) about a year ago and noticed a rather substantial improvement. If your table is fairly new, then it may not be worth the money, but if your current table uses the high-tech rubber-band suspension method for the motor, then it is a worthwhile upgrade.

My planar 3 is about 8 years old.It's the model before the P3 that Rega supplies right now.
I think I'll keep it as it is.I have changed only the belt and now I'm thinking to change the wiring.
Is there any tip that I can do with the motor by my own?
About the planar25 that I disgussed in the other forum I'll not buy it.
I'm thinking to keep the money and make a diy turntable.
A friend of mine told me that with 600euros I can build a very nice turntable.I have seen his diy turntable and it's pretty cool.
And I'll use RB300 for the beginning.
The only thing that I like planar 25 is the RB600.
But it isn't too much different from RB300.Or it is?

Have installed the upgrade motor...

and found that it was a bit quieter in the vibration area but that really didn't really affect the sound on my P2. What it did, though, was the wow and other speed variations associated with the older motors on the rubber band suspension.

The new one was pretty easy to install and took about 30 minutes total. Directions are pretty good with plenty of pictures so that most anyone with soldering skills and basic electronics hand tools can get it done.

Was it worth $150US? That's your call but it basically has allowed me not to upgrade since this fixed the vexing problem I had with an otherwise really nice TT.

Cheers,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.