TD 124 buzzing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First time posting here, so be gentle. ;)

I just finished setting up my new-to-me TD 124 and am hearing a low level buzz as soon as I switch to the phono stage input on my preamplifier. I haven't experienced this with any of my other turntables in the same setup. Salient details:

The tonearm: Jelco 750 D with ground wire connected to the phono stage. The buzz is there even when I disconnect the ground. The buzz increases when I touch the tonearm. It also increased when I touch a wire to the chassis and the ground post on the phono stage.

The TD 124 power cord: It's a long, heavy 3-prong affair that was installed by the previous owner, who I believe knew what he was doing.

Looking forward to hearing any ideas, especially from the TD 124 owners on here.

Thanks
Matt

Have you connected the ground to the chassis of the TD 124?

Hi,

Can it be that you have not connected the ground cable to the chassis of your TD 124.

You can check this easily by connecting your ground cable ( if split in two ) to one of the three large screws that holds the armboard in place...

Or connect a second ground cable from the chassis of your TD 124 to the ground terminal on your phono pre amp...

I also get a hum when not the ground is not both connected to tonearm and chassis.

Best,
Tralalalala

English problems... my fault

1st off:

Both chassis and tonearm MUST be connected to the ground terminal of your phono preamp.

2ndly:

You can easily check if this the problem by just putting :

one ground cable to your tonearm from the ground terminal of your phono preamp.
+
one ground cable between one of the three screws ( you have to tighten the screw back so it is fastened ) on the arm board to the ground terminal of your phono preamp.

PS: Normally you fasten the second ground cable to the chassis to a screw underneath the arm board.

Please respond if this is not the issue.

Last edited:
I connected a wire between the screw in the arm board and the phono stage while also keeping the ground wire from the tonearm to the phono stage connected. The buzz/hum grew worse. It was lowest when only the wire from the tonearm was connected. After some experimentation, I connected a second wire from the phono stage to a screw on the back of my TV, and the noise disappeared entirely.

Hi again Matt,

OK. Good to know that there`s just a ground problem!

I was thinking that you should try to change the place where you are attaching the second ground cable to your chassis of your TD124.

See attached jpeg file- it should be possible to fix the wire to this screw ( red circle ) just by putting the armboard aside. It not just heighten your TD 124 with whatever you can find so you manage to get to this screw from underneath : books etc...

Do NOT turn your TD 124 up side down without removing aluminum and cast iron platter...

I don't really get it why fixing the ground cable to your TV worked - maybe somebody else can tell you that - throwing something out in the air right now but : could it be a ground loop somewhere?

BUT do try to fix the second ground cable to the point described in the attached jpeg photo instead of your TV.
( This photo is not mine, found it on the internet... )

PS: really did appreciate your comment about my written english ...

Attachments

• ground cable fixed to chassis underneath.jpg
    ground cable fixed to chassis underneath.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 246
If TV connected to same mains outlet

Hi Matt,

One more thing you can try...

If your TV is connected to the same mains outlet as your TD124 try disconnect your TV from your mains outlet ; at the same time try to fix the second ground cable to the screw beneath your armboard on your TD124. This second ground cable is meant to be installed at this place anyway...

I´m starting to stop getting any other good ideas - but you did talk about ( in your first post) about a newly installed mains cable to your TD124 by previous owner. Maybe this can be the issue that`s causing your ground problem.

If possible just have your stereo equipment connected to the same mains outlet.

Worth a try - I think it is at least...

Best,
Tralalalala

Hi Tralalalala,

It is weird about the TV. Unfortunately, while I can experiment with unplugging it from the same mains outlet that I have the TD 124 plugged into, that can't be part of my permanent solution—there are no more outlets! I will try it though, along with connecting the ground wire beneath the tonearm, just to see to what happens. Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Matt

One last thing.

The mains cable for my own Thorens TD 124 MkI does not have a three pin connector , it does not have an earth pin, only two pins.

You state in your first post that it three three prongs.

Maybe this is your second problem. Your first being that you did not connect the second ground wire to the chassis of your TD 124.

Maybe this three prong mains cable is causing a ground loop between your turntable and other electrical equipment connected to your only one mains outlet.

Maybe an idea to post a pictures of the mains lead?
And how it is connected to your turntable?

Maybe some others can help figuring out how to install a new mains lead to your turntable. These things I am not certain of myself- I also am quite sure that these connector boards do varies.

Best,
Endre

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the chassis of the table is grounded through the power cord you will probably have a serious ground loop problem when you connect the arm ground/pre-amp ground to the chassis.

You mention your TV, is this connected to the pre-amp? TV sets are notorious causers of ground loop issues (when connected to cable systems) and may also be injecting leakage currents into your stereo system - if the table has an earth safety ground that may be where the current is heading.. Try disconnecting it completely from the stereo..

Note: I could be all wet, but worth a try - I've run into worse. I have two of these tables and they are completely quiet. Neither have 3 wire cords on them and get their grounds through their respective phono stages.

Thanks Kevin.

The TV isn't connected to the preamp. From what you've said, I'm thinking that the problem is the 3 wire power cord, given that it's really the only variable in my system that's different from how other people have things set up and my other turntables in the same system. At some point, I'll probably replace it, but since the ground wire to the TV is working, I want to enjoy the turntable for a little bit before I start fiddling again...

Matt

So much for not fiddling. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get the clutch in that sweet spot between not rubbing on the aluminum platter and completely stopping it when engaged to no avail. This TD 124 came without a clutch (I didn't realize it until too late), and so I bought one off the auction site. I suspect it's either slightly bent and/or the friction tape on one of the tabs needs to be replaced. I took it off for now, which means removing records on the fly--not ideal, I know. Cue a big sigh.

Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.