Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Battery powered phono stage battery type advice
Battery powered phono stage battery type advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2013, 05:36 AM   #1
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Battery powered phono stage battery type advice

All of you with battery powered Bugles, Boozehounds and other phono stages:

What effect does battery type (Alkaline, NiCad, Nimh, others) have on the sound of your phono stage?

I have a boozehound (2sk170 jfet phono stage) which I run off 16 AA batteries.

I could be imagining things but battery type seems to change the sound. Alkalines sound kind of heavy and forward, Nimh sound more detailed w/more depth, maybe less slam. Cheap dollar store non-alkaline batteries sounded not so good.

Also, the alkalines drift in voltage. I've read that Nimh do not.

Obviously the lower voltage (1.2 vs 1.5V) of the rechargeables may play a role. But what exactly is the ideal battery for something like a phono stage?

Also, when running batteries what effect does a capacitor bank have? Is it unnecessary to have say 5,000uf of capacitance after the batteries? Will it just drain the battery on power on? Is the filtering needed?
Old 9th September 2013, 08:29 AM   #2
ColinA is offline ColinA  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I find these have plenty of PRAT factor
Off the Grid Power

" FIVE-FOOT HIGH Nuclear Submarine Batteries are very conservatively designed to outlast the lifetime of a submarine boat, (35 years). One of the great improvements is the use of calcium in the very thick oxide-lead positive plate. This allows low gassing during charging, which results in only adding water once every two years, and much lower charge loss, due to charge migration during stand-by. We estimate for home use you will get 35 years or better with good care. Each cell is 2.0 volts per cell X 7000 amps = 14,000 watt hours, a 12 volt system = 6 cells X 14,000 watt hours= 84,000 watt hour
Old 9th September 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is online now JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

AS low power consumption is required, long life Zinc Chloride would be good or Lithium Ion type. Alkaline cells are designed for high power and the shelf life is not that good. I would use a pair of 9v Cells to give the +- required for a dual supply like or just one for single supply. 9v has plenty of headroom.
Old 9th September 2013, 05:46 PM   #4
pcb121055 is offline pcb121055  United States
diyAudio Member

My only experience with battery powered equipment came from my old Markoff PPA-2. It used 9volt batts. Can't contrast that with anything else but it seemed to last quite a while on a set without the sound changing.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:41 PM   #5
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
All of you with battery powered Bugles, Boozehounds and other phono stages:

What effect does battery type (Alkaline, NiCad, Nimh, others) have on the sound of your phono stage?

But what exactly is the ideal battery for something like a phono stage?
You want batteries which have a low ESR and can provide, say, 12hrs of supply without too much voltage reduction; SLAs fill the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
Also, when running batteries what effect does a capacitor bank have? Is it unnecessary to have say 5,000uf of capacitance after the batteries? Will it just drain the battery on power on? Is the filtering needed?
My understanding is as follows:

1. Yes, you should have some caps after the batteries. The reason is to provide a low ESR supply at HFs (batteries' ESR increases with frequency).

2. However, you don't need much capacitance - hence it's feasible to use film caps instead of electrolytics (film caps sound better). I use Wima MKS4 - 2 x 22uF, 1 x 1uF, 1 x 0.1uF.

Regards,

Andy
Old 10th September 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
payitforwardeddie is offline payitforwardeddie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Many years ago (early 80s), I built a (strain gauge type cartridge) pre-amp and it was powered by two PP3 nine volt batteries. Ordinary Ever Ready types. Customer was very pleased with the result.

Battery powered phono stage battery type adviceHide this!Advertise here!