Cassette player drive belt replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I know some will think I am a "Flat Earther" messing around with archaic cassette decks.
Fact is I own 3, & all appear to need new belts & one at least needs the LH channel output restored. So I can't even play the good cassettes which I have not been able to replace with CDs (example: John Wilbraham's "Well Tempered Trumpet").
The tape drive units appear very complex & they are also small. The belts seem to be positioned somewhere well within the internals & are not easy to remove let alone successfully replace.
However I have no option but to try.
So my request is does anyone have bit of general experience doing this with a range of different brands/models, if so maybe I can seek some specific advice.
BTW YTube carries several vids for specific models but often these are posted as a speed boast rather than a "how to".
Here's hoping.

I still enjoy cassettes.

I've only done this on my Onkyo TA630D, so can't give general advice on multiple brands. But, I bought a generic drive belt kit from Dick Smith before they went out of this kind of thing. One of the flat tape type belts was too wide, so I had to cut it narrower with a good pair of scissors. For the remaining thin square section belts, I found an appropriate fit.

My point is that if you can't find specific parts, you may be able to make do.

It wasn't that difficult if you're reasonably handy. One of them had turned to jelly and was stuck on the pulley. I just used petrol (actually, Shellite fuel) to remove the residue.

Stuey

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.