AR Turnable for enjoyment and tweaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I currently have an inherited Pioneer PL-12D, which works but it's not in great condition. I'd really like to get started with turntable tweaking using a good base to build on, but it's important that I start with something I can enjoy from the off; this is going to be a long game!

I took a look at eBay, to see what's available in my area, and came up with this: AR Turntable with Mission arm, unidentified cartridge. I've emailed the seller, and negotiated £165. But I have no experience with second-hand decks, so I need help. Is £165 too much?

I googled the AR turntable, and I'm smitten with its potential - there are some beautiful examples on Vinyl Nirvana.

There's also this up for auction: AR Turntable with Linn Basik LV X & AT120E

Do I wait it out to bid on the well-spec'ed deck, or take a £165 plunge (plus, I suspect, further investment).

Any suggestions welcome, including cost-effective ideas of what I can do with such a deck if/when I buy one!

I sold my 1961 AR turntable with a 1975 motor and a Grade FTE cartridge for $35 in 1982. I wasn't happy with the amount of floor shock from walking that was transmitted to the cartridge. This measurement is not made in any magazine review, I am afraid. I replaced it with a 1978 BIC 940 Belt drive record changer I bought about 1978 for $59. It is better than the AR in every respect, and shuts off at the end of the record, too. Plays really heat kinked records the AR couldn't handle, either. I'm still using it, it is not for sale. Found another BIC at a yard sale last year for $20, if I end up needing any parts. I'm running a Shure M97 Era IV cartridge at 1.5 g, my records are holding up fine without high freq. scrape out of the LP that my mother's RCA ceramic cartridge record player used to do..
An arm with an actual anti-skate spring would help the AR a little, but not the floor shock factor.
Only other turntable I used was a hand-me-down Gerrard, that like all of the ones at the libraries, had rumble.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I currently have an inherited Pioneer PL-12D, which works but it's not in great condition. I'd really like to get started with turntable tweaking using a good base to build on, but it's important that I start with something I can enjoy from the off; this is going to be a long game!

I took a look at eBay, to see what's available in my area, and came up with this: AR Turntable with Mission arm, unidentified cartridge. I've emailed the seller, and negotiated £165. But I have no experience with second-hand decks, so I need help. Is £165 too much?

I googled the AR turntable, and I'm smitten with its potential - there are some beautiful examples on Vinyl Nirvana.

Do I wait it out to bid on the well-spec'ed deck, or take a £165 plunge (plus, I suspect, further investment).

Any suggestions welcome, including cost-effective ideas of what I can do with such a deck if/when I buy one!

Excellent table , I have one of the same and apart from motor issues with old age ( replaced) it's an excellent sounding table with zero , read zero feedback issues, due to it's sprung chassis.

You will not be disappointed ..

regards,

regards,

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'd add the Thorens TD-160, TD-145 and probably a few others to that list. They're an evolution of the AR concept. The Lencos are another good possibility (L-75, L-78) and tend to be seriously under valued.

I've had a bunch of AR-XA and did all sorts of mods to them, and they were definitely a big step up from the Japanese direct drive I was using at the time. There are an amazing selection of upgrade parts (unfortunately not cheap) for this table, but the upgrades are mostly needed to make the player competitive with more modern designs.

You might also consider the latest Rega RP-3 or a lightly used P-3.

I've recently graduated to a Thorens TD-124/II and this all started with a minty AR-XA in a box that I purchased around 1988..

Hi all,

Hi, an AR deck can be taken to some pretty lofty standards with some very simple cost effective tweeks. For example the rumble figure listed on that stock deck of < 73db, can be taken down to < 82db with a simple drop in thrust bearing replacement and proper spindle polish. Modification to the existing springs, and different spring perches will greatly improve speed stability and soundstage. Mass loading and balancing the pulley, resetting the motor bushing to near zero vertical movement, etc.

If you can find one in decent condition, you can have a winner with a little work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.