Angling for 90° - tangential pivot tonearms

Walter Karlson tonearm

Here's another strange tonearm that looks like huge pivoting headshell to correct tracking error. Judging by the pictures, it appears to be using two strings for guiding the geometry. Not much can be found on the net and this was introduced by Musical Surrounding in 2002 and had since disappeared into audio abyss. Such a shame as we can learn a few tricks from this curious item. Of course, the purist fascists will cry foul about it not being simple enough. Hey, at least someone is trying something new!

And here is a blurb about it:
The WKarlson Tonearm - Musical Surroundings presents the world premier of a new and striking tonearm from Norway. Hand-made by Walter Karlson in the old world tradition of a fine toolmaker, this unique arm design readdresses many common notions about geometry, resonance, and materials. Please see the attached design treatise by the creator himself. Estimated retail $5,000.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

interesting arm...

looks like a magnetic uni pivot head.

Attachments

• Pluto 5A Special.jpg
    Pluto 5A Special.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,127
more things to melt your brain

moray james: "looks like a magnetic uni pivot head."

That's just a conventional tonearm from Pluto Audio. I'm not sure which version but the headshell just happens to be attached by a bolt to a spherical joint that looks like a magnet. More pictures from here. Very expensive.

moray james: "Here is one I had not seen before. Check it on Google Patent 4302834 - Phonograph pickup arm"

Thanks! Very interesting. I still can't wrap my head around the design on how it achieve tangential tracking. Since there is no offset at the headshell, that tells me the pivot point is one angle in the Thales triangle so that means the armtube itself has to extend or shorten using whatever mechanism to achieve that and, perhaps, that's what the invention is about.

The John Pretto patent also references other patents including the Birch arm I mentioned earlier and the ancestor of Rabco, a servo design!

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4302834.pdf - Designed by John Pretto

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3476394.pdf - Designed by R. W. Birch

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2915315.pdf - Designed by Jacob Rabinow

US Patent:4302834 November 14, 1981

Last edited:
Gracias!

stevieg: "As my Dad once said about the Vincent motorcycle - a collection of solutions looking for a problem!"

Great quote! People are probably laughing at me right now for bothering with all these complicated designs. What a bunch of Rube Goldberg silliness! I know, I am a troublemaker. Hey, at least it's entertaining, right? :)

Thanks to all the members who graced this thread for indulging me.

stringing along more silliness

More experimental tonearms. I am going off on a tangent here, pun intended. :) These have nothing to do tangential tracking. I believe it's about using string to deal with tracking force to lessen the moment of inertia from the ubiquitous counterweight. As you can tell, some of these arms use recycle parts from other arms.

It was inspired by the(47 Labs) RS Labs RS-A1 tonearm. Here's the text on the website via Google Translate:

"Arm must be lifted: For non-standard tonearm design patents are issued (if you know - this is not a quick process. I know this is not hearsay. I have them about 15). History of the tonearm will be presented later. Many designs were not operable, but they "opened their eyes" on the behavior of the needle in the groove, the vibrations, moments of forces, their real value, etc. All this culminated in the latest designs, photos of which, for obvious reasons, is missing. The first arm with a rocking chair and without rear counterweight was made in 1985. Arm must be lifted Japanese company 47 Labs, professing the same arm idea appeared several years later."

I'm not sure any of these work at all as tonearms. Apparently this is just one big experiment and we never saw the final product as can be seen in this series pictures in historical context: What disappointment!

More images from Russian site

You're fine, direct. As I posted earlier, I think about the geometry of this stuff and I feel my brain melt. This is a good thing! The fact that my next turntable project within my own capability is mating a Mission 774 arm with a Goldring G88 deck is neither here nor there. Rock on, dude

Hi fellow freaks
This is one of the most interesting lines I have read in this forum. Inspired by Schroeder and the man from Italie I have made something likes this to my tonearm and it was easy to do. It took me 2 hours an the result was wonderfull. The sound become softer, relaxet and a lot of thing happen in music that I never hear before. So please do your selve a good thing trye it. You will be surprice in a good way

Yours Ole

oleslot: This is one of the most interesting lines I have read in this forum. Inspired by Schroeder and the man from Italy I have made something likes this to my tonearm and it was easy to do. It took me 2 hours and the result was wonderful. The sound became softer, relaxed and a lot of things happen in music that I never heard before. So please do yourself a good thing, try it. You will be surprised in a good way.

Glad you enjoy the thread. Can you show us some pictures so we can enjoy your experiment?

Here's an interview of Michel Huber from Thales in a Singapore online magazine, along with some good pictures.
http://www.mod-avi.com/modezine/mod10.pdf

Some good pictures from Munich audio show.
http://www.audionet.com.tw/doc/view/sn/2662

And here's a Youtube video of the Thales tonearms in action.
2010 Münich High End Show - Thales tonearms on Brinkmann turntable

Hello there

I have tried to oploud pictures but I am just a beginner in this diciplin. The Tonearm I have is made by my selv and it is a hybrid betwen Schroeder and the well tempered with a lenght of 60 cm. The wire is 2 meter long. I found out that it becomer better this way.

Yours Ole

salg 019.jpg

salg 020.jpg

salg 021.jpg

Thanks Frank for such awesome pictures of the Van Eps Lab tonearm. It appears to be the same arm in a Thorens TD-126 turntable in the previous post. The Van Eps certainly tops in "cool" factor, mechanically clever and visually striking. The Van Eps twin armwand concept is materialized in the Thales Simplicity in contemporary design. I always wonder if using dual unipivot bearings would work even better to simplify things and reduce the number of bearings, contact area, and friction.... Really curious how it sounds. Also, if you own or know more about this arm, how does the vertical bearing work? The latest Stereophile,October 2010 issue, has a rave reviews of the Thales AV arm and said to be comparable to the Continuum Cobra arm. I look forward to a review of the Simplicity tonearm in the future. Thanks again for posting the close-up pictures of the Van Eps arm. Cool!

Oleslot, thank you also for your wonderful DIY effort and your experimental spirit. To know that you really like the improved sound is very encouraging. Thanks!!

Long live DIY!!