DOES anyone remember ACOUSTEC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening to all of you. I write this message in the hopes that someone has a knowledge of a long-forgotten company by the name of ACOUSTEC. There is no "H" at the end, tis simply Acoustec. I am searching for any information, with the exception of referrals to Stereo Review, which I already have, but any brochures, catalogs, review paper and the like would be wonderful. Even word of mouth, or in this case word of "electronic ink" would even be appreciated.
Maybe are you, or know of someone, who has once worked for this company? If you have I politely summon your response.

Knowing all too well that this company has fallen into the abyss of remembrance, I only expect a select few to be able to answer. I seem to have the unfortunate habit of asking the wherabouts of now defunct societies or components, sadly my demand for information concerning motorola transistors has been left unanswered. DEC3000, anybody?
Should the occasion arise, I would even consider the purchase of any piece of equipment from Acoustec.

Their "add-an-amplifier" amplifier kit is of particular interest to me.

With much gratitude and reconnaissance,

Baron of Hull,
Solid Estate
Wartonbury-on-Heath,
Germania

I believe Acoustec was one of the first (if not the first) maker of completely solid state audio components. That would suggest that they might have used germanium transistors, which I have heard were not as robust as the later silicon ones, and so perhaps the reason they have disappeared is that they all blew up. I believe that the AR reciever originally was made with germanium transistors and they were pretty unreliable. Recently I picked up a 60s Altec reciever which boasted of being the first all silicon transistor reciever so perhaps the argument is correct.
To my eye, the pictures I've seen of Acoustec equipment suggests that they were generally very handsome pieces.

M'yes, indeed they were. Although I am greatful for your prompt reply, and you provided insight into their technology, I do hope I shall have the occasion to actually see a real Acoustec device. I shall rather like to give it an audition.
OK i'll cut the pompous english stereotype here I'm making this a BOUNTY HUNT for Acoustec equipment. The first to get me any Acoustec amplifier wins a great prize: an original Motorola RTL gate still in it's package from 1968. Bet noone can resist that.

Except, sadly, me.

thanks Nat Eddy!

Oh, not to worry, I got tons if 'em. Probably enough to repair the Apollo 11 computer, should it be necessary.
Also have PDP-8 boards, TI transistors in original "match" packs, oh what else...
Bogen amplifier, Dukane PA amplifier. Pair of Boston Acoustics A100, need new surrounds.
Hey, I might as well advertise while I can...

Vintage stuff rocks.

Speaking of Apollo's computer, anyone out there have some schematics for that? Just curious.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC)

"Oh, not to worry, I got tons if 'em. Probably enough to repair the Apollo 11 computer"

A little off topic perhaps, but you can build a modernized clone of the original Apollo guidance computer if you so desire.. Others have done it:

http://klabs.org/history/build_agc/

Actually looks kind of cool, downloaded and read the entire article several years ago...

Thank you Nasa.. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
shallbehealed said:
I work in the building where the Apollo computers were developed. We call it "the bomb shelter", as it's got a 20ft thick floating concrete slab in the basement and no windows on the first two floors.

I've always understood the AGC was developed at the old MIT Instrumentation Lab in Cambridge, MA which today is known as Draper Labs http://www.draper.com/history/history.htm after the fellow who managed it. It's independent of M.I.T now.

Here is a link to schematics for the Block II AGC - the version which flew to the moon.

http://klabs.org/history/ech/agc_schematics/index.htm

The hardware was built by Raytheon.

I'm actually old enough to remember quite vividly the whole moon landing thing.. :geezer: Now that was exciting!:D

kevinkr said:

I've always understood the AGC was developed at the old MIT Instrumentation Lab in Cambridge, MA which today is known as Draper Labs http://www.draper.com/history/history.htm after the fellow who managed it. It's independent of M.I.T now.

Hrmm... I'm trying to find some documentation. I know that I heard it from one of the staff scientists, who looks like he's been there for the past 40 years. All I could find on the 'net is that this was that was where the "gopher" web was created. I'll ask the old dudes as to what the real story is, when I have a minute.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
shallbehealed said:

Hrmm... I'm trying to find some documentation. I know that I heard it from one of the staff scientists, who looks like he's been there for the past 40 years. All I could find on the 'net is that this was that was where the "gopher" web was created. I'll ask the old dudes as to what the real story is, when I have a minute.

I'd be really curious, perhaps they collaborated on one of the subsystems.. Apollo had two other navigational systems in addition to the AGC for redundancy. (IIRC I think optical and inertial??) Perhaps it was one of these...

while all this appolo stuff is facinating, and it's actually something that I am interested in(given the fact I love old technology, including obscure and now-obsolete Military technology), I'd like to bring the subject back to the original topic which was ACOUSTECH. lol

anyway, I've quickly searched the web to find anything about Acoustech, and there seems to be NO information whatsoever. No units for sale, not even ebay! What, did people just trash these?
The only source of interest I found wa on hifiengine where there were a couple of members asking for schematics becuase they owned one the add-a-kit amplifiers. Which is cool becuase that's what I'm after.

anyone care to post a scan of a schematic?

That'd be great.

Thank you again!!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thread's been dead for 3 1/2yrs, those AGC posts were way back in mid 2008.. So old in fact that despite posting here I did not receive a notification of your post.

Hope you find what you are looking for, just wondering what the fascination with them is.. :D I suspect they were obscure enough and defunct sufficiently before the internet that there is nothing at all on the net about them.

Thanks for answering Kevinkr,
Yeah I know it's been long, (didn't think it was that long!) but you never know.
As luck would have it my google search yielded some interesting results, I found a webpage from a French Acoustech amplifier owner who seems fascinated by them enough to make a small blog about his restoration project. Luckily french is my native tongue. And ear!:p

Anybody still have interest in Acoustech, let me know (ctcdaggett@mindspring.com). I have most details on their product line, the high point was the Model X, a full range electrostatic (Janszen origin, ala KLH-9), which included a variation of their 500 watt amp, mated to the Model VI preamp. Very early transistor, kits, tuners, amps, integrated amps, and preamps. Wound up being bought by Koss. Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.