I hate to be that PLLXO dummy

Trying to work up the courage to build a PLLXO.

LF will be handled by the amplifier which is also has a volume control for level matching. Am I envisioning this correctly? If I got it all right, what do I need to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• wiring-3.jpg
    wiring-3.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.23.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.23.42 AM.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 179
I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. I hate to be dense, but I’d rather ask twice than buy twice. It appears that the math checks out.

Does that mean I need to buy a .036uF capacitor? One for each channel? If I can’t find .036, how close is close enough? I assume all capacitors aren’t created equal. What brand would you recommend? While we’re on the subject is there a particular kind of wire to use in this?

Again, sorry about being dense. This is just outside of my personal comfort zone and I’m trying to learn.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would not bother with passive, it can not drive anything properly. You may find this of interest. I have built many of these, for 150Hz, but its a snap to make it for 200Hz or any other frequency. I replaced all active crossovers with this simple one, since it sounds awesome. It even seems to me signal is better sounding after the crossover. I have similar experience with buffers vs passive line level. Somehow buffer sounds better to me, isolating signal source from next stage. I can go on and on, but its no use if you have eyes on passive. Remember, when you change different amps, your passive no longer works as intended, since impedances are different.
simple active crossover

@PRR thanks!

@Adason - from what I read, the PLLXO is exactly what I’m looking for and appears to be simple enough to adjust should I venture into using a small tube amp. Honestly this is pushing my skill set here as it is. It’s also cheap enough to try and fail and not lose sleep over.

That said, feel free to DM me if you’d be interested in building/selling me something you think would work better. I’m not suggesting this is the best solution. I’m suggesting this is the solution that I think I won’t screw up.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PLLXO can work really well. The speaker has to be designed to work within their limitations.

Your diagram does not look right at all. Each channel needs 2 caps and an R.

The C uses the input R of the HF amplifier to crete a HP filter. A series R with a shunt cap to ground gives the low pass.

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/18-PLLXO.pdf

Adason did do an interesting XO which i founf interesting enuff to draw:

attachment.php

dave