Sansui T-7 Tuner - needs wide string.

Hey :)

I have a Sansui T-7 tuner that needs the wide string replaced.

Anyone in the GTA do repairs like this? I'm not feeling like I'll be successful since the service manual calls for a replacement assembly rather than replacing the string.

Attachments

• 2020-05-30 08-34-59.jpg
    2020-05-30 08-34-59.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 430
Ya it's that "belt" that needs to be replaced. It's frayed and the frays have knotted around the knob. I call it "string" because it's fabric. At least mine hasn't broken completely. I can see where it's supposed to go.

What are the chances of stretching a turntable belt around the pulleys? :p

If I built this tuner, I would have used a cogged belt like the timing belt on the car. Still, the tuner outlived it's warranty by decades...

It's also a great example of something (finally) failing from a mechanical failure rather than an electronic failure... This tuner works perfectly except for this string.

When this tuner broke, I bought a Pyle PT504 as an "Amazon deals" buy for ~40$. The new one is 106$. The FM antenna spring terminal broke off the first time I used it, and I now must use the PAL FM connector which is fine, but in Canada, we use F connectors, and I now wait for an adapter. The selectivity is horrible! 99.1 can be received within 89.9 and 91.3 or so... Also, this tuner would have noise even if you WIRED the RD!.

Hence why I would like to repair my Sansui. It's just a string/belt/etc. I can make one from silky ribbon fabric for wrapping presents and liquid electrical tape. I could cut down and bond a rubber turntable belt, but I find it hard to believe this type of woven fabric isn't made anymore? I just need someone with better dexterity and who understands the wrapping and looping of the stock string.

Last edited:
In old school days the FM aerial socket was a TV co-ax type this is obsolete in the UK and has been replaced by the standard satellite co-ax connector which is the same as Canada,s the "F" connector .

You need a lot of patience to restring a radio tuner but its doable just remember how it ran before you remove the old one.

But you are talking about the belt , have you a photo of it ?
You're right a turntable belt cut to shape would do.