Parallel Capacitor recomendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear friends I want to increase the performance of my speaker hence thought of using parallel caps
the speaker I use has 100uf,33uf,22uf,and8.2uf all 600 VDC Audyn caps Q6.
The help/suggestion I want to get from the seasoned DIY gurus here is what values should I use for connecting parallel to the mentioned execting value caps to get improved sound please also recommend a brand which is the best you like.

Speaker crossover units are specially designed for a particular cabinet design and the type loudspeaker and tweeter used .
Paralleling the fixed capacitors with several MFD upwards changes the design conditions and is not something taken lightly unless you are a loudspeaker enclosure designer + sound engineer .

Have you seen the mathematics involved ?

This is NOT the same as changing capacitors in an audio amplifier .

Dear friends I want to increase the performance of my speaker
What do you mean by that, exactly?

hence thought of using parallel caps
The help/suggestion I want to get from the seasoned DIY gurus here is what values should I use for connecting parallel to the mentioned execting value caps to get improved sound please also recommend a brand which is the best you like.
First explain what speaker shortcoming you are trying to address.

Loudspeaker enclosure design engineers spend long hours using higher maths to determine size-internal resonances -design of speaker units if the unit is to qualify even to a lower hi-fi spec.

Those that don't are easily heard as "incorrect " sounding of one sort or another so first of all specify the make and model of your speaker units and enclosure.
Honestly you need to spend some time reading up on cabinet design just saying add this or that capacitor is incorrect design engineering deviating from the original design parameters .

You probably mean the tweeter isn't up to scratch ,considering the wide range of types of tweeter available the best costing large sums of money you would still have to correct the rest of your loudspeaker system to give a musically correct response.

If somebody can remotely tell you what that response will be then good luck to him but that not how it works in reality .

The crossover unit will probably contain inductance's which are TUNED to the design specifications of the loudspeaker and the tweeter including the crossover point .
This involves mathematical formulae and is not simple algebra.
I know of no competent loudspeaker designer ,not knowing the internal units for a start that would allow himself to speculate on an unknown type of speaker/tweeter.

Dear friends I want to increase the performance of my speaker hence thought of using parallel caps
Placing caps in parallel changes the total value, and detunes the circuit. Essentially, you're asking us to randomly re-design an already optimized crossover circuit.

And you're after...
Transperancy
Which can't even be defined clearly. It's a subjective term that means different things. There's no such a thing as a "transparency" control in real life.

A transducer is a complicated electro-mechanical system, and a speaker is made up of one or more of them, each operating in a frequency range it is designed for, but each also operating along with the others to present a unified composite transducer. Crossovers are designed so that in the crossover region of the spectrum the adjacent sections work together to from a smooth "splice" between drivers. The values are chosen to optimize this based on the electo-mechanical characteristics of each driver and its surrounding box. You don't have any information on the drives, the box, or the crossover, and neither do we. Therefore, the only course that makes sense it to leave it all alone.

However, no speaker is perfect, and worse, neither is the room it works in, which functions as a significant part of the total transducer system. If you want to improve some aspect of sound reproduction, the one thing that has the biggest impact is the acoustics of the room. A crossover tweak might change things a few dB, but rooms have much larger impact, for example in frequency response, sometimes more than 20dB.

After treating the room, the next biggest sonic improvement is obtained through equalization. For that you need two things, an equalizer, and a measurement system. Ideally, both should be able to respond in the time domain in a complimentary fashion...the measurement system determines the system response in both frequency and time domain, and the equalizer applies an filter to each channel that is the approximate inverse of the anomalies measured. The improvement is not small. Also, the improvement more that compensates for many errors in crossover design. Some even apply equalization without additional room treatment, though the best results are obtained by doing both.

Among the adjectives people use after acoustic treatment and equalization are transparency, impact, clarity, soundstage, imaging, localization, and on and on.

Leave the caps alone and address the real big problems in the system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.