Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

reduce Electrocompaniet EC 4 Gain
reduce Electrocompaniet EC 4 Gain
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2020, 09:49 AM   #1
Depaj is offline Depaj  France
diyAudio Member

Default reduce Electrocompaniet EC 4 Gain

Hello !

I have a pair of AW 60 blocs that are configured for mono use and a EC 4 as a preamp and they have way too much gain, moving the volume only the slightest with a regular cd player gets my 66 studio monitors way too loud and they're no sensitive speakers at all.
EC actually put out several versions of the aw-60 and they had different gain values so I started by getting both blocs to match the lowest gain version they offered (I used one I worked on before as an example). This gives me a little improvement but it's still too much and I would like to reduce the gain of the preamp as well. As there are no schematics out there I'm in need of some guidance.

Does anyone have a schematic for the gain stage, or have any idea on which resistor values to play with in order to reduce the overall amplification ?

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:40 AM   #2
blek stena is offline blek stena  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Also, you could put attenutator at AW60 inputs.

Regards,
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yes I did think of that but it doesn't really make sense to amplify the signal at the preamp, than attenuate it again to re-amplify it at at the power stage... wouldn't that also introduce more noise ?
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you try it you will get the answers. It will cost you almost nothing and you will learn something:-)

Regards,
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I know how it works and could easily do it, sansui did this in some of their earlier amps, they attenuated each source input differently and than amplified them all the same amount through the phono stage while applying the riaa equalisation through the feedback loop, also connected to the source selector, only to the phono input.
Although I absolutely love the sansui AU-222 and 555 I don't think this would integrate well in the EC design. I would like to just be able to calm down the gain stage of the preamp somehow, by changing the feedback resistor for example, only I don't know which one it is as I don't have a schematic.
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I re read my message and found it to be a little bit blunt, sorry for that, this wasn't intentional !
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Don't worry, everything is OK. Wish i could be of more help:-)

Regards,
Old 25th March 2020, 10:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, a little bit of patience and careful tracing always pays off .
I found the two feedback resistors for the inverted and none inverted amplification stages (R41 (141 for the other channel) and R42 (142) on the EC-4 for those that would like to do the same thing) and changed them from 8.2 to 3.3k, and I might even get down to 2.2k to reduce gain by almost 4. This should calm things down quite a bit !
Old 25th March 2020, 11:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you found the right resistors changing their value will affect the gain and inevitably the sound...

Regards,
Old 25th March 2020, 11:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Can you develop why this would change the sound ? That's not what I'm looking for, when I said calm things down I just meant that it wouldn't make my ears bleed with the volume up just one tiny bit

reduce Electrocompaniet EC 4 GainHide this!Advertise here!