Setting a Crossover up for Home Listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My system uses an analog active crossover (Ashly XR2000) with a pair of power amps in an active setup. I have read several articles on gain staging etc, but have questions regarding how balanced things are etc. The crossover isnt detented, and lacks monitors to see signal levels being passed.

Without owning a mic, what are my options in setting things up? Ive considered pink noise and an SPL app. It would be rough and more consistent than my ears.

Is it possible to measure output with a DMM? I feel like ive seen mention of it but wondered how accurate it would be.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can't measure the *loudspeaker* output with just a DMM.

If you could be sure your individual drivers were *flat* and *equal* sensitivity (they aren't), you could sweep the input and see that the *electrical* signal was the same in each band. (However setting knobs to the same number probably does the same; and this is insufficient for balancing a loudspeaker crossover.)

This probably should go in one of the Loudspeaker sections. The electronic question is very secondary to the loudspeaker issues.

Apologies if I was unclear. I am looking to see if my crossover is outputting patched gains to the power amps. There is no detents on the XO, so it's basically only by ear or trusting the markings on the faceplate. Wondered if I had a more accurate way without using a mic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.