Spatial Expanders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My karlsonator set use a pair each of the Faital pro 3FE25-16, 97db/w efficient, ~120° dispersion pattern. plans on the following thread, they can be scaled to work with many different drivers-

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Here are my first set using a single vifa TC9FD per side, prototypes made of foamcore board, wood to come soon.

Honestly they are the most natural and transparent speakers I've ever heard, and the wide dispersion makes them perfect for music and home theatre. No other speakers I've heard give you the same "you're there" feeling.

These designs are fascinating. Just from looking at them, I would think that the mids and especially the highs must sound muffled, radiating from behind that partially open baffle board.

These designs are fascinating. Just from looking at them, I would think that the mids and especially the highs must sound muffled, radiating from behind that partially open baffle board.

Not at all. Very nice, especially with the faital pro drivers. The whole response sounds fantastic, and other than increasing bass response and dispersion, running without the front baffle makes no other real discernible differences really.

Not at all. Very nice, especially with the faital pro drivers. The whole response sounds fantastic, and other than increasing bass response and dispersion, running without the front baffle makes no other real discernible differences really.

I've been actively interested in audio since the early 70's, yet, somehow, managed to not have heard of the Karlsons. :eek: So, I've been doing alot of reading up on Karlson's designs, and have a question you might be able to address.

I'm curious as to whether you've experimented with driver mounting position within the coupler mouth? In other words, is there any significant difference in the sound due to the position of the driver relative to the tapered slot flare? For example, with your tandem driver Karlsonators, have you listened with only the upper driver (the one located most directly behind the narrow portion of the coupler slot) powered, versus having only the lower driver powered? Is the sound character consistent? More specifically, I'm wondering whether the highs remain equally present and dispersed from the driver located directly behind the narrow slot?

Last edited:
John E. Karlson's famous 15 inch enclosure had its testing in the summer of 1951 and commercial debut, the fall of 1952 at The Hotel New Yorker hi-fi show. The 12 inch model was introduced in the fall of 1954 -i think the eight inch model came in 1955. There was a Karlson 18 inch speaker model shown in on brochure. The 15 inch model, loaded with Electro-Voice 15TRX, provided sound for many of the 1964-65 World's Fair exhibits. Karlson also made a line of "asymmetric" projector speakers and those were also branded and sold by his friend Jess Oliver. Those ranged in size from the little Karlson "Rocket" (KR-5) to the 15 inch Altec loaded AP100 / Oliver "Magna-Clam".

Karlson's Open Ended Waveguide patent was concurrent with the release of his "X15" 2-way speaker of about 4.5 cubic foot external bulk which employed a 41Hz fs CTS 15 inch speaker and first, a mini-asymmetric projector tweeter made of plywood and driven by a 3 inch cone speaker. That was replaced by a slotted tube tweeter with compression driver.

with the right speaker, a Karlson cabinet sounds quite natural and they
often good substitute for horn systems.

The Karlsonator variant comes from Diyaudio member GregB. I have Karlsonator12s and a little foam core set.

although I've been an audio "purist" at times I very much like spatial enhancers, dynamic expanders and the Aphex aural exciter and find they are worthwhile with a lot of classic rock cds and homemade tapes.

a K-tube tweeter can sound very good in its range. For a one inch compression driver, tape a 1" diameter pipe about 5.5" long. Start the slot at 1/8" gap using a half ellipse template. A quick POC tweeter can be made by rolling up paper and cutting the slot with scissors.

X15.jpg

cAG0sDb.jpg

qMFgzEL.jpg

kMwSfs1.jpg

XeJTZ38.jpg

kdMAWNM.jpg

he11_lansche_chassis_web.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

6NMl2KB.jpg

img008.jpg

CFzTSYr.jpg

Y8fRXHo.jpg

LRw8RTr.jpg

pPSW2ai.jpg

John E. Karlson's famous 15 inch enclosure had its testing in the summer of 1951 and commercial debut, the fall of 1952 at The Hotel New Yorker hi-fi show. The 12 inch model was introduced in the fall of 1954 -i think the eight inch model came in 1955.

freddi, thanks, for your very informative post. I've read online some of Karlson's papers from the 50's or 60's about his unique acoustic coupler design. It's advantages appear so compelling that I wonder why it has remained relatively obscure since then. I can only think that maybe the application falls short of the theory? Perhaps, you might be able to shed light on why the evident commercial failure of the design occured. What are the practical drawbacks as you see them?

Also, perhaps, you know the answer to the question I asked a few posts back. In the box 8", 12", 15" etc. Karlson designs, the driver is positioned within the flared slot of the k-coupler. This leads me to wonder whether the driver front is actually coupled to the k-coupler in these designs. In other words, is the driver's high-frequency dispersion actually significantly broadened by the slot located rather openly in front of it?

Thanks, again.

I noticed something missing from the straight-through amps I have built then realized my RCA Pro Series receiver (2004 vintage, I still have it) has DSP and spatial expansion functions that greatly enhance the audio ambience. There are other things to decode from CD's and maybe MP3's also, so unless I use my DIY amps as repair blocks for a system with that stuff built in, I will have plain "boring" audio straight from a CD player.
I found only a few enhancement IC's such as the hard to get TDA3810, JRC NJM2701, and QX2020 plus some more advanced chips that look to require some extensive DSP knowledge to work with.

The TDA3810 by the spec sheet causes as much as .1% distortion, NJM2701 either 3% or .3% I couldn't read it well, and nothing found on the QX2020.

Has anyone found and analog spatial expander IC's that are easy to use and cause little distortion ?
Hi friend. You can find datasheets for Qxpander ic here: QX2130 datasheet(1/9 Pages) ROHM | QXpander™ processor and from another brand: M61509FP datasheet(1/14 Pages) RENESAS | QXpander built-in, Tone control, Volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.