any way to connect old school stereo receiver to A/V receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm trying to set up a stereo in my garage with as much bass as possible. Payback for neighbors insistent bass pounding every night until 2-3am even after asking nicely to keep it down after midnight. I'm not the type to call police on them so i went to my storage unit and found an old school Kenwood KR-A47 (basic A+B speaker line out no sub outs) in storage and a Insignia NS-R5100 5.1 DTS Prologic II collecting dust and need help with setup for 2 10" & 1 12" active subwoofers (6 ohm each), 3 12" passive car subwoofers (svc 100w rms @ 4 ohm each), and 2 Technics SB-2660 3-way floor standing speaker cabinets. I want it to be as loud and obnoxious as possible, I could even build cabinets to throw in some care stereo speakers if you want to get creative- 2 6.5" Scosche 4-way (50w rms @ 4ohms each) & 4 Kicker 6×9 DSC-6930 @ 4ohms each. I build very efficient car audio sub boxes as a hobby and very knowledgeable in car stereo setups but home stereo is whole different animal and need some help. Any advice for setup to make my neighbors bow down to my bass authority would be very much appreciated. On the nights they keep me up until 3am, i want to REALLY wake them up at 6am when I have to get up for work. Thx 🤘👽🤘

ps. a friend just gave me some Phillip integrated base pipes that is missing the mids and highs that attach to the top he doesn't know the model of the home stereo they came from but it's just the two base pipes only, with 5 "(I think) twin subs 50-100w @ 16 ohms each, I have tried to test them on both those receivers. Tried connecting straight-in, parallel, and through the active subs, but very little output, definitely far less output than they would have originally sounded with the phillips stereo they came from, is there anything I can do with those besides throw them in the trash? ������

Thx for reply HarryY, but as i said in original post, I don't like calling cops on people, I was taught tattling was wrong wrong and only call police for emergencies. i appreciate the speedy reply, but not looking opinions on how i'm handling the situation, just stereo setup advise please.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I know Columbia Missouri well. Three generations.

Please work with the police. They are nice people. Columbia is (should be) a quiet town. Parties should not boom-boom at hours when working people need their sleep. The Columbia police want to keep the peace.

You don't have to confront. Upon information, the police can cruise past the party, hear it themselves, and ask the residents to turn it down.

perhaps you didnt understand my 1st two posts, i'll try to explain one more time, i'm not afraid of confrontation, I was raised different than you, i was raised to only call police if it is an emergency, anything else you handle on your own, show respect and handle it face to face, i was taught that going behind someone's back snitching on them is cowardly, I am not a coward, but the most important thing i was raised to always follow the golden rule. i wouldn't want someone calling the police on me, so i'm not going to do that to them, I asked them nicely to their face and I didn't get my point across so i am simply going to do what they do to me until they understand my point, and i will go knock on their door right after I wake them up, repeat my request and let them know that i didnt want to get the police involved just to get each other to show some respect to the people we live next to and not be hateful to each other. Now i'm asking you and anyone else that reads this post to please show me some respect and only reply to this post if you have some stereo setup advice or tips that i was asking for. We don't have to agree, you are absolutely entitled to your own opinion, and you will not change my beliefs on that subject in a diy audio forum. I got excited because I saw i had a reply and thought i could get started on it tonight, then it was disappointing to see another post focusing on everything except the information i was asking for help with. Please home stereo related help, opinions, beliefs, suggestions, jokes, etc. only, Thank you.

most of your speakers are 4ohms.
That probably means you will need a 4ohms capable amplifier channel dedicated to each 4ohms speaker.

Going by the list of speakers you have, you are going to need an awful lot of amplifiers.

A better idea is to use your high efficiency expertise and build one, or two high efficiency bass speakers. Then you can use a normal high power two channel amplifier.

Have a read of the Tannoy B950, it uses two 8ohms Celestion drivers to get to about 101dB/W (2Vac) @ 1m

Sounds more like a bylaw issue than a police issue.

Kenwood KR-A47 is only 40W /ch, not near enough power to blast the neighbors
Adding Insignia NS-R5100 will help, run each speaker to each amp o/p. Lets see if we can get 500W out of this unit.

If you look at p16 of the Insignia NS-R5100 user manual you can connect ext audio sources. You can make a patch cord to connect one source ie CD,PC to the input sources together, surround L/R,center,front L/R. Get a fan to cool the unit down and blast away.
Now we have to find some obnoxious music to play, could start with some Black Sabbath and of course big hair screaming stuff, iron maden etc.
I think the idea is to blast the hell out of them when they sleep and you take off for the day. Have to get the music to play all day long, so need something that can run for hours, like a USB jump drive or PC going on for hours.

Good luck

Thx for all the useful info, 1 more thing...

thank you very much for the "helpful" replies,one more question, after i make the patch cord how do i hook the 2 amps up so the insignia is the main controler for settings, also i just realized i will be using the playlist on my phone and neither amp is Bluetooth so i will be plugging into my phone with a headphone jack that splits into L&R rca males (I have 2 of those), do i still need a patch cord if i buy a headphone jack splitter that has 3 headphone plugs 1 male, 2 female, then plug both my other splitters into each receiver? My high output expertise is actually in building H.O. subwoofer boxes, not the electronics, I was planning on wiring the speakers in series to bring the ohms up, 3 subs are amplified and I know how to hook up the passive subs to the amp through the active subs, I could just hook up what i know how and b done with it, but I was hoping to learn more and see if there was a way to hook both receivers together and maybe hook it ALL up. i'm not worried about the receivers, they are cheap and outdated, and i'm not going to be blasting them for extended periods of time, just long enough to wake them up and go knock on their door every morning until they understand my point, thx again for the stereo related replies, much appreciated.
ps
i have already decided my music choice- "Peace sells, but who's buyin" by Megadeth
🤘👽🤘

FYI:
City of Columbia, MO DIVISION 12; OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER
Sec. 16-176.1. - Peace disturbance
(a) A person commits the crime of peace disturbance if:

(1) He unreasonably and knowingly disturbs or alarms another person or persons by:
a. Loud noise.

(b) Peace disturbance is a class B misdemeanor.

You might not want to "rat" your neighbor out, but he or she might not feel the same way. Do you really want to risk being charged with a misdemeanor being vindictive???

well since this is a noise ordinance thread now and not a stereo thread like i asked, I'll tell you how it went...it worked out great, I woke them up 3 mornings in a row, on the 3rd morning they answered the door when i knocked, they promised not to play it loud after midnight as long as dont play it loud in the mornings. They also said they really appreciated me not calling the police on them and having the guts to deal with it to their face instead of behind their back like a punk.

if I would have followed the trolls advice (that i didnt ask for and said i didnt want) we would still be feuding and hating each other instead of being civil and talking when we see each other...if giving your opinions mean so much to you guys that you still have to do it even when asked not to, then you should give me your emails so i can pass them along to some companies i know of that will pay you to force your opinions on others, you would be great at it, make a lot of money, and be busy elsewhere so those of us wanting to discuss diy Audio subjects in audio forums can do it in peace.

Happy it worked out for you!

BTW, maybe you haven't figured this out since you joined last summer, this is a public forum that is open to anyone wishing to share their ideas as long as they conform with the terms of service. If you are looking for something other than that then I'm sure you'll figure out what to do.

good to know that's how it works on this forum, someone asks for help with something and its ok to to post your opinions on how others should live their lives rather than help that person or answer their questions, got it 👌, and here all this time I've just been thinkin it was rude, thx 4 setting this newbie straight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.