Digital switcher for analog audio signal (e. g. electronic input selector for an amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've had an idea to build an electronic source selector for my amp. It took me a good while to even find some ICs, but now I know they at least exists (example: MAX397). Are there any modern (read: available for purchase in stores) ICs that are transparent (non-detrimentary to sound) enough to be used in a high fidelity amp? Or is there still no substitute to a mechanical switch as far as sound quality goes?
The MAX part doesn't even list THD in the datasheet...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have you considered discrete JFET's ? Used correctly (series/shunt arrangement inti a virtual earth) and they are transparent and also have exceptional 'off' characteristics.

Attachments

• Pre Switch Copy.jpg
    Pre Switch Copy.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 233
Hi Alex,

To give you some options, TI has ts3usba225 and ts5usba224 to offer. They state <0.05% THD. There are also ADG409 and MAX4911 (<0.05% THD).

There had been also discussions on this forum about using solid state relays and FETs as audio switches. The outcome of such discussions is never conclusive.

Regards,
Oleg

If you are not restricted by the available space then using relays or FETs as Mooly suggests would be my choice. Multiplexers that I've seen so far are not fully specified for audio applications. THD in the range of 0.05% is not so spectacular by nowadays standards, at least for solid state amps. You can try to get some promising multiplexers and measure their limits to make an informed decision.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.