Line Level Transformer Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi :) Bit of a noob question for you guys. I want to buy a transformer to cut out some ground loop issues I'm having between an AV Receiver and pre/power amps. I have found a couple of candidates for purchase. However I can't get my head around which is better for the purpose on paper. One is specced as having a 20Hz-20Khz response and 600Ohm impedance. The other 20Hz-30Khz response and 12KOhm impedance.

Now I realise that the one with the higher frequency response sounds better but do I believe it? Also I can't get my head around which would be the better impedance. Theres quite a difference between the two.

http://www.monacor.de/de/FLE/FGA40.pdf
IMG StageLine FGA 102 Stereo Line Transformer. Only £29.89

Many thanks!

A 600 ohm xfmr is able to drive non-negligible lengths of cable, but may pose a bit of a load to the output (not everything can drive 600 ohms effortlessly).

Something with ~12 kOhms would seem to be an input transformer and may have better common-mode rejection (suppression of ground loop garbage). It should be used directly in front of the input though.

Be sure to read as many reviews as possible for the devices in question. Cheap isolation transformers from the car audio department may suck, hard, especially in the bass.

Thanks. It's difficult to find any reviews. Thankfully it is 'only' for movies as would only impact signals from the AV receiver to the amps. Other inputs don't seem to have the issue.

I have listened to a hifi system that has the Stageline transformer in it. It sounded good; though I never heard a before and after comparison.

Transformers don't actually have an "impedance," just an impedance step up or step down ratio. It can be optimized for different applications (e.g., trading off primary inductance for leakage inductance...). In this case, the impedance ratio is 1:1, that is, if you put 12k on the secondary, the primary will look like 12k.

These transformers are being marketed to different end applications- likely, the "600 ohm" transformer will work fine at 12k, but there's insufficient specs to be certain.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Transformers don't actually have an "impedance," .
This is not very helpful for a noob. I think it is better to state a transformer has a specified "matching impedance", a best value for the generating source impedance on the primary (=output impedance of driving PreAmp) and the matching resistor (=input impedance of amp) on the secondary.
If you are not certain that your PreAmp is capabable to drive 600R, I would go for 10kOhm:10kOhm xformers. 600R is the best choice if you connecting cable is really long (>some 10m)

I know the AV Receiver works OK with the IMG Stageline 600Ohm version as my friend has the exact same receiver with that transformer inline and it's working fine :)

I've just noticed that IMG Stageline and CarPower seem to be a brand name of Magnecor. So they're both made by the same guys.

Having looked at the Jensen products, this item seems to sound good. However I have no idea if it's worth spending more money on this component? My Hifi is quite decent but nothing extravagant; Arcam Alpha 10 amps and monitor audio floorstanders. I don't want to risk losing any detail to the sound.

CI-2RR | Jensen Transformers

Cheers.

I believe the impedance relates to the load the transformer can drive. 600ohm are higher power than 13 k. That's why line level output tranies are 600 ohm and inputs are 13 k ohms. For your situation put a input transformer on your amp in. The should be smaller and less expensive.

Please have a look at the Jensen site and read the white paper by Bill Whitlock. Read it slowly and you will get a very good overview. Please keep in mind that that the transformer will provide an inductance. This in combination with the source impedance (mostly) and the load impedance (somewhat) will create a low pass filter. This may or may not be a problem in your application.

Jensen transformers are very good. Cinemag are almost as good and cost about half. Edcor is not bad costs about 1/7 what the Jensens cost. As usual, 1) you get what you pay for and 2) there are diminishing returns as you go up in price

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.