Copper purity of Cat-5e cable ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About 20 years ago, I wired Peerless CC-Line 10 inch woofs ( 2 per side with a dedicated amp for those drivers' L / R channels in a tri-amped set up ) using 4 cubic foot cabinets with 3 runs per leg.

One hundred and ninety two strippings of insulation with my trusty RS tool gauge tool. Flabbergasting slam / depth / speed / definition. In fact, my flabber was so gasted I often did not get out of bed for days.

But back to the point : do any of you wise smart resources here have a FIRM FACTUAL spec on the copper purity of Cat-5e ? Thanks in advance, as the old cliché goes.

About 20 years ago, I wired Peerless CC-Line 10 inch woofs ( 2 per side with a dedicated amp for those drivers' L / R channels in a tri-amped set up ) using 4 cubic foot cabinets with 3 runs per leg.

One hundred and ninety two strippings of insulation with my trusty RS tool gauge tool. Flabbergasting slam / depth / speed / definition. In fact, my flabber was so gasted I often did not get out of bed for days.

But back to the point : do any of you wise smart resources here have a FIRM FACTUAL spec on the copper purity of Cat-5e ? Thanks in advance, as the old cliché goes.

Post facto, why do you care and why do you think the detailed metallurgy made any difference?

> wise smart resources here have a FIRM FACTUAL spec on the copper purity of Cat-5e

The specification for Cat-5e is here.

Copper purity is not part of the spec. If you want to know the exact purity of the copper in your wire, you have to identify the manufacturer and see if they have specified it in their datasheets.

Hello Scott --

1.) My question is posed NOT regarding that original use of Cat-5e for the twin woofs 20 years ago, but because I am thinking about using it between X-overs and drivers in new custom builds using 5" Scan-speaks ( 2.5 way floorstander ) and 8" Audaxes ( minimonitor ).

2.) "Detailed metallurgy" [copper purity] makes a difference to me for the same reason it makes a difference to other DIY fanatics; call me a deluded old geezer if you want to -- I won't be offended.

someone here somewhere on diy said normal everyday copper wire was 99.0% copper. oh here I found it on wiki of all places

Electrical conductivity is a measure of how well a material transports an electric charge. This is an essential property in electrical wiring systems. Copper has the highest electrical conductivity rating of all non-precious metals: the electrical resistivity of copper = 16.78 nΩ•m at 20 °C. Specially-pure Oxygen-Free Electronic (OFE) copper is about 1% more conductive (i.e., achieves a minimum of 101% IACS).[7][8]

The main grade of copper used for electrical applications is electrolytic-tough pitch (ETP) copper (CW004A or ASTM designation C11040). This copper is at least 99.90% pure and has an electrical conductivity of at least 101% IACS. ETP copper contains a small percentage of oxygen (0.02 to 0.04%). If high conductivity copper needs to be welded or brazed or used in a reducing atmosphere, then oxygen-free copper (CW008A or ASTM designation C10100) may be used.[12]

so if you want the same conductivity of OFC for the low price of regular copper just make the cable 1% shorter

From the past I have a memory that Cat5 was 99,9%.

The copper metallurgy is not specified, so it will vary slightly from brand to brand and lot to lot. Wire manufacturers do not spend much effort worrying about irrelevant variables but instead control critical variables which actually do affect performance for the intended application. An SPC system for CAT5 will focus on insulation thickness, extruder and crosshead temperature, twist, wire diameter, and insulation and jacket color. All but the last are the critical variables which affect characteristic impedance, the primary attribute for CAT5 applications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.