Parametric EQ for subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the tip Marco!

I've allready looked through Elliot's and the 5-band subwoofer equaliser looked interresting...

However, I have in the mean time found a circuit for a full parametric EQ, which I'm now in the process of modifying and implementing. Posted some stuff on this on a separate thread.

Yes, A correct starting point is a good idea, measured nearfield/ gated my system is pretty much flat down to 25-30 Hz. In my listening position, there is however a hump of about +6 db in the 40-60 Hz range, which tends to make certain recordings a bit boomy. I anticipate much would be improved by doing some EQ'ing in this area with the help of measurements and critical listening. :)

Last edited:
I hope you're not too disappointed with the results. Equalizers are a
frequency domain solution to a time domain problem (room modes).
Hope springs eternal, but many are disappointed without understanding why.

All good fortune,
Chris

Hi,

Not really, room modes cause frequency and time domain issues.

The frequency and time domain are interchangeable, and
improving the frequency domain, the frequency response,
will also improve the time domain, the transient response.

rgds, sreten.

I found it best to work with bass traps first. A bit of creativity one can actually do such things and still fall under the WAF. I went through a lot of effort with my DCX and an old Yamahamer 1/3 octave graphical phase distortion generator and found nice measurements really did not do much for the overall clarity and musicality. A stack of insulation rolls in the corner did. Using a sweep generator to find a few previously unknown resonators and solve them also helped. So, fix what you can mechanically, then hit it with EQ. If you are using more than one sub, just moving them around to make wherever the humps happen not be your listening spot can sometimes work.

The best bass I ever had was in a mobile home as the walls were basically transparent. No modes. Unforgivably, everyone in the park could enjoy it too. :D

Hi,

Not really, room modes cause frequency and time domain issues.

The frequency and time domain are interchangeable, and
improving the frequency domain, the frequency response,
will also improve the time domain, the transient response.

rgds, sreten.

Could you elaborate please?

I understand that adressing the frequency response with eq, the problem could become almost negligible. Ok.

But if you see a waterfall graph, the slope, the decay, the time the wave needs to loose a given amount of energy or dBs, will be exactly the same. Naturally it begins with much less energy, wich helps to shorten the time it is audible.

Best Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.