Balance control R Values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a pre-amp and using a 100K shunt Gold Point Attenuator. Unfortunately, due to the issues with my listening room that have not been able to be resolved via acoustical treatments, speaker positioning, etc., I need to add a balance control. My current pre-amp has one with very small -db increments and I would like to do the same.

I've purchased a two deck 24 step Gold Point attenuator and will use half of the steps in each side. How do I calculate my resistor values to get these db values:

...............................Total
step 12...0R....0db..... 0db
step 11...xR...-.5db... -.5db
step 10...xR...-.5db... -1db
step 9.....xR...-.5db... -1.5db
step 8.....xR...-.5db... -2db
step 7.....xR...-.5db... -2.5db
step 6.....xR...-.5db... -3db
step 5.....xR....-1db... -4db
step 4.....xR....-1db... -5db
step 3.....xR....-1db... -6db
step 2.....xR....-2db... -8db
step 1.....xR........... infinite

I'm not particularly adept at electronics theory etc. so any explanations with this in mind will be appreciated. . . .:)

Regards,
Mike

Saying it a better way

Let me try again with a bit more information. . . .

I am trying to create a balance control of the shunt variety using a 23 position Elna 2 pole switch. The 12 o' clock position will be open therefore having infinite resistance and no shunt to ground. Only half of each pole will be populated with shunt resistors in positions 1-11 and 13-23 on opposing sides to attenuate the channel opposite to which the knob is being rotated. I am looking for the resistor values that will achieve this in small steps of approximately .5 to 1db per step.

Anybody with experience of doing this?

Regards,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.