• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hugh out of action for a bit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hughie's recovery continues apace. He has now been transferred to a rehab. hospital for the last stage of his recovery before being sent home. His improvement over the last few days has been significant. I had hoped to convince him to sell me his Logitech Touch but no such luck..............

Cheers,

Marty.

Hi Marty,
So Hughie is up and talking now is he. I'm sure he's making up for lost time in recouperation.

Its great to hear Hugh is making good progress, its hard getting used to his silence on the interweb ;(.. Hopefully he is back up in running shape soon, i have lots of new sonic findings and some new ideas on the Adaptive bias open loop design, and all of course have been 100% ground tested!!.. Thinking about it is only half the fun, the best comes from building it.:D. I eagerly await Hugh's return to the fold..

Colin

Colin is part of the Inner Circle - probably can't disclose any details. But the direction of research is a good one, and probably a natural extension of Hugh's Diamond Buffer output stage.

Elvee has his circlophone adaptive bias scheme, but his amp includes -ve feedback and there have been a couple of other attempts around here somewhere (Kenpeter). I expect Hugh has found a better way to skin the cat. Now we just him to recover quickly and get back in the saddle !!!!

Hi Audiostar,Bigun,

Yes your right, they are further refinements on the Diamond buffer topology, an ancient design but made much better with todays modern transistors and their linearity. Of course half the battle to sonics is dimensioning after design, and doing this well and or right takes a long time of listening and honing over time so 1 year i would consider a short period. Id call the battle done on the Buffer, now just would need Hugh to sign off on it ;). Ive gone off the beaten track a little bit and have done some designing and experimenting with Current feedback input stages, The principle stage in the Maya design is single ended, but ive done some work with a Symmetrical Current feedback stage and must say the results are very impressive thus far. These are capable of a much higher dominant pole and greater phase margin, especially when operated with direct feedback that doesnt include the output stage..

Colin

Hi Bigun,

Yeah, im sure upon first glance Hugh would have shivers at the schematic, but upon second glance he would admire the elegance ;). He does have a preference for unbalanced single ended, and both can be done extraordinarily well with benefits on both sides. Ive been curious about the symmetry side, we all know what single ended is capable of and almost every single design is based off of the classic bailey circuit, Current feedback seems a path less traversed and im grabbed by its speed and lack of phase shift into high frequencies... Usually i would have some good chats with Hugh via email on ideas and he would always offer some great insights or ideas. Still getting used to him being out of commission and awaiting his arrival back into the fold with much anticipation and good health...Unfortunately I have no update, I am also reliant on the forum for any new info on his progress.

Colin

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have no update, I am also reliant on the forum for any new info on his progress.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I went to see Hugh last Sunday arvo. I thought he looked extremely well, considering - although I believe he has to spend another couple of weeks in the rehab hospital, whilst they drill him with exercises. :) (Then, of course, he'll have to be a very diligent little boy doing them on his own, when he's home! ;) )

His business partner (is it Frank?) turned up to show him the prototype of a studio monitor that they're building together ... Hugh was able to walk 100m to the car - and back again - quite happily. (Using a wheeled walker.)

He can talk fine, and read ... so I would imagine interacting with his computer won't be a problem, when he gets home.

Regards,

Andy

PS: Steer him towards building some more monoblocs, would you. :D My custom-made amp enclosures need 3 x mono amp modules each side ... so I am currently stuck on Soraya/Lifeforce modules, as the NAKSAs are stereo modules. :mad:

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just got back from an extended o'seas trip and saw Hugh as soon as I could yesterday. Nothing really to add over what Andy said the other day other than to emphasise that he's as sharp as ever - the mind's willing but the body still has a few weeks to go.:)

In fact the main reason I'm even posting is to apologise to a few people that PM'd me a while back that I didn't (couldn't) reply to that asked me to pass on specific get well thoughts to Hugh. Rest assured, they have been.:D

I saw Hugh today and he is looking well. They have put him in room by himself now and I can only assume it's because his vistors had been driving the other patients crazy talking audio all the time! At the mention of a cup of tea, Hugh lead the rush to the canteen so he's obviously well on the mend.

Good friends,

My sincere thanks to you all for wonderful wishes. It really is without doubt it lift my fast recovery. I was unconcious for 29 days from 23 July and is recovery will slow but it is clear that I will returned to close to 100%.

This has been a salutary lesson to us all; we are very frail, and in my operation I benefited some of the best surgeons in the world. To have had such lavish resources given to me at my age of 61 is humbly, and spur me to makes my remaining years productive.

I will leave hospital late this week and should be able to be back to myself helpful.

We sincerely you all for thoughts and many condolences, including cards. Very comforting and not will never have I expected. Thank you so much,

Ciao,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.