Stylus life... 200 playing hours! Really?

Hello all. Just received my new shibata cut stylus from Jico, for my much loved ADC XLM MM cart. The instruction manual/warranty note says:
'Although the criteria for replacing stylus vary depending on conditions of use, it is recommended to replace the stylus after approximately 100-200 playing hours (SAS-stylus 500 playing hours).'

Dude!!! Thats only a few months at best! For a 200USD needle?

My ADC cart has the original stylus still on it, and it is probably from the mid '80s if not earlier. It sounds great to me, but I figures it time to try a new stylus just for ***** and giggles.

Any real world experiences regarding stylus life? This just cannot be... 200hours... jeeezuss!

I am starting to understand the need for two arms on my TT. One for background listening and one for precious late night music enjoyment.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Note it probably also has something to do with stylus geometry. I have several Panasonic strain gauge cartridges and at one time I had a bunch of OEM shibata styli, they really didn't last much over 200 hours and it was quite obvious that they were going. I will admit that these are the only cartridges where I have had this experience and generally get something closer to 1000 hours. (I don't play much vinyl anymore so I get years of service from my cartridges.)

As has been said, longevity depends on playing conditions and stylus profile.

A stylus may - repeat may - need replacing after 500 hours of use.

Taking the average duration of an LP to be 40 minutes, those 500 hours correspond to the playing of 750 LPs.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would take the Jico recommendation at face value, and at least check the stylus for wear at that time, and it might just be fine. My experience with Shibata styli is that they don't last a very long time in the Panasonic application at 2 - 2.5gms. I currently use a line contact on an EPC451 and I expect this will be more durable.

Keeping your records and stylus scrupulously clean can only help.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Based on some measurements I have had done on used stylii it does seem about right for exotic cuts. Funny part is that they don't wear too badly, then just bottom out in the groove. If the profile was rounded at the bottom you would get double the playing life.

Reactions: 1 users
I searched to try and find those - is this the thread, @billshurv?

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/analysing-worn-vs-new-stylus-rips.354720/

Very interesting. I've just got back into listening to vinyl after a nearly 20 year hiatus, and happen to also be using an Audio-Technica microline cartridge (VM540ML, typically a little under $300 in the US for the cartridge, a little over $200 for the stylus).

Edit to add: For what it's worth, AT suggest 1000 hours lifespan for microline styli.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user