Schematic STAX SRM 007 T MK2

Hi Bart,
I'm also looking for replacing tubes on my Stax SRM-007Ta and I wonder if you've managed to find some information on that...?
I think there is an option to replace original 6FQ7/6CG7 tubes with 6S4A tubes, but that will require rewiring and soldering work, for which some schematics and instructions will be needed.
Please advise,
Sasa

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Sasa,
6FQ7/6CG7 are popular tubes, so no reason to use something else. A 6S4A is a single triode with different characteristics so you're looking at more than rewiring sockets. Then you'd have to redesign the circuit for the other characteristics.

Just use the intended tubes. Many audio amplifiers use them.

-Chris

Thanks for a straightforward reply, Chris.

I'm new user of both Stax headphones (or "earspeakers") and Stax amp (or "energiser"), which is also my first tube-based audio equipment.
The main reason I asked about tube replacement is that, in order to have decent sound levels on my Stax 009 headphones, I have to adjust level on my Stax SRM-007Ta amp with 6FQ7/6CG7 tubes pretty high (around 8-9 out of 10, with the pre-amp also around the same level), and that the existing tubes are reaching the end of their lifetime.

I don't know if new tubes will provide better output levels, but I'm willing to try -- may I ask, if you know, or have some experience, which of 6FQ7/6CG7 type tube manufacturers you would recommend to buy from, particularly regarding their voltage handling performance?

Thanks again and best regards,

Sasa