Pioneer PL-5 rehab

Picked up a PL-5 for cheap to gift to some friends. It had the "speed wobble" where it changed speed on its own, wouldn't hold speed and was just off. Normally, I simple fix, open it up and deoxit a bunch, work everything, reassemble and its good.

Did all that, got it back together and plugged it in. It started on its own, and the motor is spinning back and forth and stop button isn't working.

Pulled it apart, realigned everything, worked all pots again and am letting it sit and dry now.

Any advice on potential causes? I've checked mechanical alignment several times, have the service manual and didn't break anything.

Well, when all else fails just walk away for a while. Then take it apart and put it back together again.

Got it all dialed in and running smooth now! I suspect it was drowning in deoxit still in the speed trim pots.

Its in testing now with my Pioneer SX1500TD as phono/pre, Aleph 30 power to epi100 speakers.

Cart isn't great, but not terrible, Shure M92e in a p-mount adapter.

Gonna put some hours on it then its out of here to a friends house as an upgrade to their LP60.
20240427_123044.jpg
20240427_123407.jpg
20240427_171320.jpg

Reactions: 1 users