DAC DC blocking capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm almost done with my first dac, which is a balanced design based on AK4395. I need dc blocking capacitors in the output of the AK4395, so does anyone have some references for these capacitors? The capacitors should be about 47µF (maybe less, depending on resistors/input load). Cheap way would be to use bipolar or electrolytic capacitors, but maybe I'll go with the MKP/MKT ones (damn they are big).

I'm using OPA1632 opamp in the AK4395 output.
On page 24 is the capacitor which I mean :rolleyes:

Datasheet

Most AK4395 chips have under 2mV to no DC offset, so you might get away without the capacitors. If this is not an commercial design, among the best coupling caps I've encountered are old NOS motor run types - they're huge :) Or get some Black Gates NX type...

lucpes said:
Most AK4395 chips have under 2mV to no DC offset, so you might get away without the capacitors. If this is not an commercial design, among the best coupling caps I've encountered are old NOS motor run types - they're huge :) Or get some Black Gates NX type...

Datasheet says that during the reset there is Vcom voltage (2.5V DC) in the analog output pins.

lucpes said:

Yes, make sure that you switch off the preamp when turning the DAC on, or power the DAC first. Reset time is very short, you will notice it as a medium loud plop in your speakers.

Yes that's clear. So the analog outputs doesn't have the bias voltage (Vcom=2.5V)?

Datasheet tells, that the analog outputs are centered around the Vcom and the Vcom is a signal ground of this chip. So I'm a little confused about bias voltage of the analog outputs. I think there is 2.5V DC at the outputs. But lucpes says there is hardly any offset...
:confused:

macgyver said:

Yeah. I was confused by lucpes posting. I got some plastic capacitor samples from wima. So the problem is solved.

You do understand that the capacitors are necessary for the circuit on page 24 to function correctly. The circuit in example 1 on page 23 is shown without capacitors because it does not need them. If you use the '1632 as shown on page 24 you will need the caps and if as shown on page 23 you will not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.