Simple LAN Isolator/Noise Reducer

Hello,

i just came across this device: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-10/reviews on the use market and thought i buy one for 25 euro (new they seem to go for 75) to test it... result was pretty surprising imo and i wanna create my own replication of this device, so i dont have to buy more for 75 euro per piece :)

Screenshot from 2024-05-11 10-02-02.png

Simple dongle that i will shield "manually" afterwards with some sort of shrinkwrap/shielding/shrinkwrap "housing" :)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A LAN is ethernet. Ethernet is trafo coupled per standard so isolated (if not power over LAN which obviously is needs a galvanic connection). And yes, it's built in to the sockets. Pretty basic.... and has been for decades...

//

Reactions: 1 user
It baffled me because it looks like pass through. But it's relying on whatever emi filtering is built into the sockets.

See: https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/connecto...ding=Shielded, EMI Fingers&tradename=FastJack

oh i should have mentioned it... yes this relies purely on the filtering inside the connectors, take a look at the datasheet of the isolator its based on: https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-iso-plus-2_vo.pdf to see what filtering it does

i think different connectors are pretty comparable... pretty much all say -18db at 10mhz, i choose those: https://www.lcsc.com/datasheet/lcsc_datasheet_2111251530_XKB-Connection-X01AQ070BA2AD_C2916444.pdf

making this thing cost around 5-7 euro :)

A LAN is ethernet. Ethernet is trafo coupled per standard so isolated (if not power over LAN which obviously is needs a galvanic connection). And yes, it's built in to the sockets. Pretty basic.... and has been for decades...
yes in theory most devices like a raspberry already have a connector like this... but the filtering adds up... the dx engineering recommends to use one device at each end, making this possibly 6 connectors with filtering/isolation inside

Now... i just created this pcb because i noticed a improvement with this (and dont wanna spend 80 euro instead of 7euro), so i have some lying around for further experiments :)

imo this is the cheapest solution you can go with for lan filtering, that still seems pretty effective

Joined 2019
Paid Member
So why is filtering needed?
Must admit it's not clear why it would be generally applicable. I can see that if you're in an RFI hostile environment it might be important, but for average domestic use, in an average location? I did see that one of the reviews of the product was talking about a connection from broadband modem to router suffering from frequent dropouts due to RFI and the product fixing that...

So why is filtering needed?
well i didnt care for lan filters myself... till i tested the dx engineering device, it made a noticable difference in SQ, there was also some rave about it at audiophilestyle forum, i just wanna make a simple cheap alternative people might can try when they are curious, specially when they dont wanna spend much like me but still know about how bad EMI/RFI in your hifi can be

well and now i kinda think... well one device made a noticable difference... just put 2 at each ethernet cable and be done with it, for 20 euro i dont think much about it

just made this pcb since i only bought 1 dx engineering device used for testing... it made a noticable difference so im gonna build the next 4-5 myself for 50 euro :)

i mean you guys can still discuss whether lan isolators are needed over all but idk... i just advice to test it, it definitely cant degrade SQ but it seems like it can definitely increase it

Well, fair enough I guess. But where are you using it and with what? Then we can put a little context to it.
i have a pc setup and used it on the only ethernet cable that goes to my pc, right before the pc with a 10cm cable between isolator and pc

beside close proximity, i have a interface connected over a diy usb filter + ifi isilencer to the pc

i also noticed how "auth emi filter" placed on devices other than your hifi on the same circuitbreaker improves SQ in a very similar way, i feel like all EMI filtering devices do to a certain degree the same effect and it seems to stack up (also to a certain degree.. but its kinda hard to get there)

Sorry, i miss count connector. You are right. I thought it just 8 pin
No problems :)

----------------------

I will soon order some to test

if someone is interested in trying these, let me know, i will also source some 10cm lan cables and include them, tho i only found cat 5e so far

cost will be probably around 35 Euro, i think this is fair with a production cost of around 15-20 euro

hmm since the commercial doesnt connect shield at all and the connectors also dont seem to have any form of low resistance connection from shield to GND im thinking about adding a switch to be able to passtrough the shield, from what i read so far you only dont want connect shield to the end device but shield can be continous from the source device, specially when using multiple lan isolators in series (when using 2 isolators at each cable end the middle cable shield should be "floating" i dont think this is a good idea

i think i will just add a switch :) tho if someones knows more here... let me know