• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I found these in a box of old military electronics parts

Are these usable for an amp?

IMG_5034.jpeg

Maybe a film resistor of some sort, as the leads are wrapped on the outside of the tube - 10% tolerance anyway, given the silver splash on the end. Maybe some sort of solid composition resistor anyway, as it's a cylinder of compressed stuff rather than a hollow tube.

Carbon composition resistors have a very good surge rating. Farnell sell modern carbon composition resistors for use as inrush current limiters on power supplies, as the bus caps charge up, which are then shorted with relay contacts once the power rails are established.

Reactions: 1 user
They look to be from the same age as this box. I got a warehouse full of old tubes, mostly loose in boxes, or bulk packs that have seen better days. This unopened box from 1937 was in a 105 gallon drum (lower right in last picture) full mostly broken loose tubes. My first thought was to list it unopened on Ebay, but curiosity got the better of me and I ripped into it. Inside were a pair of Western Electric branded 6V6GT tubes. They looked like RCAs to me. I'm not sure what happened to them since the picture is 20 years old.

Attachments

• DSCN2372.JPG
    DSCN2372.JPG
    619.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN2507.JPG
    DSCN2507.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN2369.JPG
    DSCN2369.JPG
    623 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN2509.JPG
    DSCN2509.JPG
    716.5 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't -specially- look for them or pay extra but on the other side not avoid using them, at all.
If I have to drop, say, 50 or 100V from a node to the next or at some screen or from cathode to ground they will do their job just fine.
Ohm's rule still rules as in 1827, go figure. 😎