Wavecor WF152BD07 4ohm. What would you build with this driver?

I have a pair of Wavecor WF152BD07 4ohm drivers. Really nice 5 1/2"ers with Balanced drive. Originally thinking a small bookshelf speaker for my TV room, but now I am using a sealed box with a SBAcoustics SB17CRC for that application.

So, What would you build with the Wavecor? Bookshelf? Use it as a mid in a 3way? I am open to suggestions.

I would pair it to a truncated Dayton Audio tweeter.
I am a big fan of Dayton Audio and have several of their drivers both tweeter and woofer. Good products.

I must say that I quite slike the small profile SBAcoustics tweeters, the SB21 is in one of my microspeakers woth a Scanspeak 10F, and the SB26 is going into my tv speaker with the SB17CRCs.

With the Wavecor, I guess my question is, what is the ideal application with this driver? Seems like an awesome midtange with low distortion, but it has a few quirks at the bottom end when I model it. It is best for a small bookshelf, or is it a better midrange?

It seems to have a huge impedance spike, and a really damaging excursion profile below 60-40Hz, which kind of worries me. I like sealed speakers too, but the rolloff happens early here. Thats why I am rethinking that this is more for a Midrange?

Thanks all for any advise.

Last edited:
In my experience with 5" & 6" Wavecors, they perform very well in the midrange, but won't go too low, no matter what the alignment. So my guess is that this driver is best as a mid in a large 3 way design, if you have a need for it, and your room can handle a large woofer. 10" trad design or 2x 8" column?

but won't go too low, no matter what the alignment
Thanks. That Is helpful to know. I think I will save them for bigger build to replace my mains, as a high quality mid crossed over around 125Hz, running in a sealed sub-compartment. I prefer rather narrow baffles due to my room setup constaints, perhaps I can look for a low end driver to boost the baffle step and fill in the low end.

Re: 'crossed over around 125Hz' =- why so low? I usually find that the baffle step frequency is the best spot
Re: ' low end driver' - for 10" check out the Peerless 830668, but with narrow baffles, 2x 8" or 6" will probably do the job better (i'm a fan of polypropylene cone drivers for LF).
Perhaps a 2.5 way is the best compromise?

I have a pair of Wavecor WF152BD07 4ohm drivers. Really nice 5 1/2"ers with Balanced drive. Originally thinking a small bookshelf speaker for my TV room, but now I am using a sealed box with a SBAcoustics SB17CRC for that application.

So, What would you build with the Wavecor? Bookshelf? Use it as a mid in a 3way? I am open to suggestions.
Great driver (y) Something like a narrow tower with a Seas DXT or Augerpro waveguide with SB26ADC - and then as PKAudio writes... a couple of woofers - where Wavecor is a good candidate.
Inspiration:
https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/

With the Wavecor, I guess my question is, what is the ideal application with this driver? Seems like an awesome midtange with low distortion, but it has a few quirks at the bottom end when I model it. It is best for a small bookshelf, or is it a better midrange?

Ideally this driver is suited to a vented (about 9 litres) cabinet, should you desire one, with decent bass performance.
It does not mean that you can't use it in any other configuration.