Stovey

'Lil Stovey'

IMG_20240307_150218.jpg

It's kind of an art project, but also a fully functional 5 gallon bucket shop sub with a chimney port.

8" driver from a Sony bookshelf system

Metal, wood, plastic, bedliner, acrylics

IMG_20240307_140436.jpg

IMG_20240307_140442.jpg

I have a few build photos but it seems pretty self-explanatory? :)

It was fun having an excuse to use an external port.

The holes in the chimney are so the port length is at the holes, but the chimney is visually as tall as it is. I think they might whistle a little at the very highest volume due to the relatively sharp edges, so I probably won't do that again. The straight part of the chimney is removable and usable at a higher tuning without it (the elbow alone is around 8 inches of port length, best as I could tell).

I learned that common buckets are HDPE, so nothing really sticks to them... I used PL 3x as a sealant but the end caps are mechanically fastened with (many) screws.

It's running full range in the video but will be crossed over to a matco 'bumpboxx' (which seems to have a nice volume-controlled line-out). And the video is just to show off the looks, not for the sound, fwiw :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
REW measurements outside, up against a wall, approx 1m, arbitrary drive level but cranked up to ~45% 2nd harmonic distortion at 35hz.

Blue: on axis (port against wall, driver facing microphone)
Red: off axis (turned the speaker sideways so the port and driver are equidistant to the wall and microphone
spl.jpg spl winISD.PNG

Simulated response (though in 2pi space) was much peakier (it's an absurdly high 1.4 qts driver) so I'm very happy with the results. Should fill in 50-120hz nicely.

Attachments

• distortion off axis.jpg
    distortion off axis.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 22
  • distortion on axis.jpg
    distortion on axis.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Stovey Outside Wall 25-500 only.mdat
    318.6 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 1 user