Jericho cabinet with Lowther DX4 help

I recently built a pair of Jericho horns using the attached drg. and fitted new DX4 drivers, the mids and highs are good, but the bass is very much lacking.

I built the same speakers 15 years ago with EX4 drivers and dont remember any issue with lack of bass.

I know very little about theoretical speaker design and based my choice on past experience, and have a few questions:

1. have i made a complete mis-match
2. if so can i improve the bass at all with eq filter or other means
3. what is a tried and tested combination for the DX4

Any other comments welcome.

thanks

JERICHO Horn Speaker.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate your reply but as I said I dont know much about speaker theory.
ls it the enclosure itself that makes the lowther drivers unsuitable if so why is that?
what parameters of the drivers makes them unsuitable
what driver would suit the enclosure and why.
what enclosure would suit the dx4 and provide decent bass ( other than the lowther made enclosures)

would appreciate your help deciding which way to go

cheers

Thanks Dave, i appreciate you taking the time to reply to my questions.

I understand that an enclosure needs to match the driver to a certain extent, depending on the end result required which also can be very listener subjective in terms of frequency response.

I have built these now and they sound fine in the mids/highs (they probably would in almost any enclosure) and very listenable for acoustic and vocals but obviously lacking in bass for the reasons you highlight, I am not interested in thumping bass, but at least clearly audible and defined, so it looks like i need different enclosures.

I am a novice when it comes to using design software such as hornresp, (still trying), so i need advise on what enclosure will be suitable for these drivers.

Thanks

Attachments

• 65d77822466118417dcead8e_DX4 (3).pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 44
I should say the original design was made for the Fostex 208 FE 208 Sigma (attached).

The bass response seems a little better with this driver (or am i completely wrong)

Attachments

• IMG_7307[1].JPG
    IMG_7307[1].JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7309[1].JPG
    IMG_7309[1].JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7310[1].JPG
    IMG_7310[1].JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 1 user