Why are sealed box woofers out of fashion

The driver is a Lanzar MAXP64...

Thank you. In case you can measure impedance/TSP yourself, double check. Normally 0.75 cuft sealed cabinet
should suffice but the Fb will be much better than what they claim (160). Beware of too much power input.
I would not bet 300W on 1.5" voice coil. Always keep an eye on cone excursion and let it not hit the plate.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, i think the realities of getting ports much below 40Hz without chuffing, make 40Hz a common target.
And agree, any hump at port tuning doesn't sound good to be either.
I think maybe manufactures put it there to give a psuedo impression the subs goes lower.

I like ported speakers to be tuned for maximally flat, then rolling off to f-3. (By f-6 a sub is over imo, who even cares if f-10 even exists lol.)

25Hz f-3 works for me. Over the years with the subs I've owned, as f-3 has moved from low/mid 40Hz to present 25Hz,
I've found more and more music has content at 30Hz than I might have believed.
I'd like to go lower just to see, buy my reality wall (which has a lot of freedom) says 25Hz is the limit.

Anyway, here's how I like to tune ported...my latest 45* version. Indoors close, ungated. Lin-phase 100Hz low pass, and min-phase EQs.
Has BW3rd order hpf which only lets me get f-3 to 26Hz lol

View attachment 1315961
nice! do you hear the pre echo from the lin phase alignment?

nice! do you hear the pre echo from the lin phase alignment?

Thx!

No, I can't hear any pre-echo.

I think due to only using complementary linear-phase crossovers, and no 'phase only' corrections.
System (sub) high-pass is minimum phase. No system low-pass.

I think it also helps to preclude pre echo, that the xovers are steep 96dB/oct, which allows c2c spacing between the sub and main's woofers to stay within 1/4 WL through -40dB summation ranges.
Which apparently is more than enough to squelch any audible non-complementary linear-phase summations off-ax, etc)

Make sense to you?

Reactions: 1 users
@hornli, I understand what you are getting at... Real loudspeaker drivers produce various noises, distortions, and exhibit other non-linearities. For example, real drivers produce modulation distortion, and I doubt that an idealized analog filter with the same magnitude and phase response as that driver could be made to produce the same modulation distortion.

But please try to understand the point of engineering. In order to understand and design circuits, mechanisms, and processes, they are idealized so they can be modelled and explained mathematically. If we insisted that before a model or simulation could be useful, it had to explain or predict every response of a device, under every circumstance, then we would have very slow scientific and technological advancement.

So it is with loudspeaker drivers. They are assumed to be minimum phase devices. As long as they are operated in their linear range, they are close enough to minimum phase that we can make that assumption, and design high performance speaker systems. Yes, they do deviate from the minimum phase ideal, but not to the extent that it matters for design and analysis.

j.

It seems to me like you're just assuming what I'm getting at.

Best regards
Bernd

Thx!

No, I can't hear any pre-echo.

I think due to only using complementary linear-phase crossovers, and no 'phase only' corrections.
System (sub) high-pass is minimum phase. No system low-pass.

I think it also helps to preclude pre echo, that the xovers are steep 96dB/oct, which allows c2c spacing between the sub and main's woofers to stay within 1/4 WL through -40dB summation ranges.
Which apparently is more than enough to squelch any audible non-complementary linear-phase summations off-ax, etc)

Make sense to you?
ah, i just saw the impulse response with pre echo but that must be from the lin phase low pass xover? as you say, the high pass is minimum phase so no pre echo from that. The low pass on the graph is about the same slope as the high pass? (you mentioned 96dB/ovtave)

Today I have been at a live concert with a big modern PA.

But the sound was dull and the bass had no beginning and no end in its impulse response.

Just one big wuhwoh wuhwoh wohwoh.

They can filter the bass until it sounds cleaner but they don't do that.

They exaggerate the bass loudness and the loudness in total.

I left the concert because of the annoying sound.

I talked to the technicians but for them all was sounding alright.

I know it can sound much better but its soooo rare at live events to hear good sounding music!

I know it can sound much better but its soooo rare at live events to hear good sounding music!

I have never heard a cinema sound system that impressed me. Sometimes it is acceptable, but only just barely acceptable. Most of the time it is not acceptable and it detracts from the movie experience.

I have never heard sound reinforcement at a live music event where I was not immediately aware that I was listening to amplified sound from a speaker. I have NEVER heard a live performance performance involving amplified male or female voice that actually sounded like the person singing... it always sounds like a person singing into a microphone and played through PA equipment.

I have often experienced exactly what you describe, "sound was dull and the bass had no beginning and no end in its impulse response. Just one big wuhwoh wuhwoh wohwoh."

Joined 2007
Paid Member
100% agree but I don't think theatres have sound set up for music (serious listening) but the soundtracks are well done. Theatre sound is made for effects ('sploshuns!) and I think the music while well done, is a side hustle for theatre sound.

Last edited:
Today I have been at a live concert with a big modern PA.

But the sound was dull and the bass had no beginning and no end in its impulse response.

Just one big wuhwoh wuhwoh wohwoh.
I was in Doha Hamad International airport a couple of weeks ago on my flight back to US from Singapore.
There was a kind of promotion going on and a DJ was on stage entertaining the crowd with Michael Jackson Billy Jean.

The music was really bad.
The bass was horrible, no clarity at all. The treble was too bright. Michael Jackson can hardly be heard.
It sounded very much like what you get from a big smiley curve with a graphic eq.

This is not the first time I encountered DJs like this.
Maybe to them, how loud they can go is their goal.
Seems that they have no appreciation for music.

Is the industry like that all the while?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
There are a lot of different types of music/ audio nerds and many seem almost mutually exclusive to one another. On this very forum we have amplifier nerds who almost treat speakers as an after thought and we have multiway speaker nerds who are happy with any class d amp that measures sufficiently. Just because you like Dj-ing has nothing to do with caring about sound quality. Caring about sound quality has nothing to do with good taste in music. Some love to listen to Jennifer Warnes because of the wonderful recording quality and how good it makes their system sound, while some (me) would rather listen to Mal Waldron play an out of tune piano recorded with marginal sound quality. etc etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I believe that dreadful bass stems from the 'More is More' attitude; extracting the lowest possible f3 and highest possible efficiency from any PA sub, then driving it to eleven. To me the acid test is replaying fast double pedal kick bass (Metallica et al), which always sound like an extended fart on most PA systems, instead of the machine gun-like ratatat it should be. Fast transient decay is imperative to make this happen, and massive dynamic headroom of the whole system.

Go and listen classical. Marvelous training for your ears, not only how instruments should sound but also how spatial placement should be becomes very clear in just a few seasons listening to a good full size orchestra or even chamber orchestra.

Plus just how loud a full orchestra is!
They will eat the silly low dynamic range of most recordings and speakers for breakfast.

But I was mostly talking about tonality.
Although with orchestras and classical music it's not as bad as other styles of music. (There are many exceptions!!)

With tonality I don't mean if it sounds bad. Just only if it sounds accurate to real performances and/or instruments.

PA systems suffer from high tuned reflex ports and no damping inside.

It seems many sound technicians don't know how to filter them (shelving filter) plus they put the bass too loud and the mids and highs get drowned. You can easily do that by ear. Or put just the 30hz down if there is only multi band EQ.

It was a small intimate concert, they do not need big amplification at all. All was too loud.