What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the bench tonight… I made a thing! :clown:

I got some ‘seconds‘ cabinets from Xrk a while ago. Finally did enough research to find potential driver candidates that would fit* and went headfirst into it this evening.

Elbow grease and MDF dust led to this!
  • SB16PFCR25-8 MidWoofer
  • PT2522C-4 Tweeter
  • SB15SFCR-00 Passive radiator
The cabinets are around 18L internal. Initial listening with passive 1st order crossover at about 2700 Hz is promising! I think I will be able to get somewhere with these… :smash:
Can you show us what the XO and measurements look like? How do you like the bass from that passive radiator?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Rudimentary measurements. Crossover is a 2uH coil on the woofer, 18uF cap and 7R resistor on the tweeter. dB figures aren't absolute. Nearfield woofer and PR also included.

With some DSP EQ in piCorePlayer to tame the bigger valleys and peaks, they are sounding pretty good. Good enough that I will certainly build another one!

More crossover futzing will continue. If I have the parts, I'll try 2nd order passive. I'll also get a WT3 impedance measurement on the woofer.

Attachments

• IMG_1497.JPEG
    IMG_1497.JPEG
    961.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1498.JPEG
    IMG_1498.JPEG
    836.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Seconds_W-PR_NF.jpg
    Seconds_W-PR_NF.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Seconds061024-3.jpg
    Seconds061024-3.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, 470Hz if you want to take advantage of the natural falloff. This way, a second order electrical will get you 4th order overall. But below this, you can apply whatever curve you want if in DSP (or passive with 4th order electrical etc).

470Hz is based on 7in depth of slot chamber. If we went with 8in woofers then it would be 370Hz I think and goes lower as size goes up. Dual 12’s would be about 230Hz.