RIAA preamp into my sony gx69es

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hi, its been a while last time i posted on this forum....

I do have this Sony GX69Es integrated amplifier that i like a lot, mated to a Technics Sl2000 turntable on a fresh needle setup.

i always found its sound to be "dry" no matter what.

i was wondering if any experienced electronics guru would dare to look at the schematic of the riaa preamp itself and pinpoints potential "improvements" to give more hump to this set-up.
yes i am thinking about altering the riaa curve or whatever that could improve its sound rendering.

fwiw the whole amp got a capacitor refresh with some nichicon fg and elna silmics (i know there are other choices, better than nothing there), no noticeable improvements once done.

thanks.

Attachments

• photo gx69es.jpg
    photo gx69es.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 234
Yes. We are modifying the values of the RIAA equalization components.
In this case, by increasing from 560k to 680k, you increase the low frequencies and decrease the average lows a bit, which are what give the sensation of "dry blow".
In the forum there are people who know a lot about the subject (AndrewT, Calvin, RJM, Vulejov, etc)

296jkm.jpg

I have simulated replacing the capacitor C505 with value of 1.57nF.

It is closer to a flat response. But what you want is to decrease the "dry" sound and give more warmth to the low frequencies.
You choose.
I'll tell you, I have a Marantz PM6006 integrated amplifier with a phono preamp with excellent sound, but I'm using an external phono preamp (Kit VSPS 400 from RJM) connected to the auxiliary.
Result: superior sound; more details; broader soud stage.
I repeat your choices from changing a resistor, a capacitor or using a good external phono pre.

Last edited:
Increase R523 to 82 kohm; assuming an ideal op-amp, right now the input shunt resistance at audio frequencies is (R523 // R524) + R501 ~= 32.3 kohm, while all normal MM cartridges are designed for 47 kohm. This makes a difference for the treble, not for the bass.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Yes. We are modifying the values of the RIAA equalization components.
In this case, by increasing from 560k to 680k, you increase the low frequencies and decrease the average lows a bit, which are what give the sensation of "dry blow".
In the forum there are people who know a lot about the subject (AndrewT, Calvin, RJM, Vulejov, etc)

i made a search and didnt realy found anything about the dry blow sensation.
id like to read read more about it, if you could point me to some threads about it i would appreciate
regards,

"Hi, its been a while last time i posted on this forum....

I do have this Sony GX69Es integrated amplifier that i like a lot, mated to a Technics Sl2000 turntable on a fresh needle setup.

i always found its sound to be "dry" no matter what."

You said it. It sounds "dry." This is a result of the fact that the frequencies between 150 and 350 Hz are stronger.
If you want it to sound with a serious less "dry", more pleasant you have to decrease those frequencies slightly and accentuate the frequencies from 20 to 50 hz.
With regard to the RIAA curve "perfectly flat" is debatable, since the recording engineers themselves alter it. Listen to a record of a same disc and the label of another label and you will notice the differences in sound. It also depends on the charge of the cartridge, which in an integrated amplifier can not be varied (load impedance and capacitance).
The important thing is that you agree and that you like what you hear.
There are famous brands such as Rotel, Marantz that slightly emphasize the frequencies between 20 and 50 hours, as well as DIY kits that also do it (Rod Elliott Kit, VSPS400).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
i have a 10 bands equalizer to make me agree to what i listen too (!), but overall i am disapointed of my turntable set-up.
so i will try the mods today but rather than juste stick with the given values i will try some combinations with potentiometers and switches to listen before/after mods.
thanks.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
i would like to revive this thread as i builded on a veroboard the SONY version (first schematic) with the suggested modifications. Any other concerns i should look for about this particular schematic ? i want to build "around" this method. thanks for any suggestions and helps.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Increase R523 to 82 kohm; assuming an ideal op-amp, right now the input shunt resistance at audio frequencies is (R523 // R524) + R501 ~= 32.3 kohm, while all normal MM cartridges are designed for 47 kohm. This makes a difference for the treble, not for the bass.

do you think it will increase the treble or decrease it ?
i dont masterise yet the effect of the load on MM cartridge.
thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.