Patio Sub

Hello,

I thought it would be an interesting project to see if I could make a smaller subwoofer to move to the patio for a little extra bass in the summer.

Criteria
1. Portable - keep the size and weight down. 1.0 to 1.25 cuft
2. Not looking for low bass, but rather a punchy midbass to fill where the outdoor speakers leave off.
3. Efficient'ish -- I have a 500watt sub app for the project to reuse.
4. 10" or 12" drive max
5. I am using a WiiM Pro as the source and it has a parametric EQ so I have decent control for some fine tuning.

First driver that caught my eye was the Dayton Audio - RSS3315HO-4 (not the -44). I fired up WinISD and with a 30 Hz tuning things looks ok. For comparison sake, I thought I would try a couple other drivers. The UM12-22 (thinking it should not be ideal in a small vented box) and the MX12-22 (also likely not idea). As I thought, the MX needed a larger enclosure so I rejected that option. Here is the strange part, the UM12-22 seemed to model better in every way than the RSS315HO-4. What really didn't make sense to me was the output (set at 300W in WinISD) was that the UM12-22 had more output but is significantly less efficient?!?!?! I double checked the T/S parameters in WinISD -- looked ok. The other thing that didn't make sense is that the vent length was identical for both (1"x12" slot 25.77" long). That's a long vent but I think I can make it work.

Questions
1. Did I make a mistake some place and my model is wrong?
2. Any other reasonably priced drivers I should consider? SB Audio ones seemed to require larger boxes

Thoughts or comments welcome

Cheers!

Attachments

• air-velo.png
    air-velo.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 24
  • freq-plot.png
    freq-plot.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 24
What really didn't make sense to me was the output (set at 300W in WinISD) was that the UM12-22 had more output but is significantly less efficient?!?!?!
More output with the same power is more, not less efficient.
I double checked the T/S parameters in WinISD -- looked ok. The other thing that didn't make sense is that the vent length was identical for both (1"x12" slot 25.77" long).
An identical vent length in the same box volume will result in the same Fb for any driver.
You probably made a mistake or two.

Since you are not looking for low bass, but rather a punchy midbass, look for drivers with higher Fs (35-40Hz), smaller Vas and tune higher.