Looking for Neurochrome power supply boards...

I received an amplifier masterfully built by Poseidon's Voice only to be destroyed by USPS. I am in need of a pair of these bare boards. I hope some of you are like me and have parts in the "someday" box.

let me know...
IMG_0122.jpeg

I do not know how old the design is, or the particulars, so you are saying he won't or can't support his older designs?
I can understand if unique, sole source parts go obsolete your kinda toast, ( a new design is required) if no inventory but a blank pcb and be able to transfer over parts is another support issue.
But in reality, what mfr would sell you a blank pcb for service? probably none or very few but I would :)

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I do not know how old the design is, or the particulars, so you are saying he won't or can't support his older designs?
I don't understand where this sort of speculation is coming from. Which message are you trying to drive here?

Let me be clear: I will ALWAYS support my products, even the discontinued ones. I even support those who have bought my products from others on the used market. But there are some cases where the support will be in the form of, "Sorry buddy. Manufacturer A discontinued the part that you need so I can't help you, but you might be able to do B or C instead". After all, I have no control over what the manufacturers do.

In this case, Anand did contact me about getting more SMPS-86 boards. I discontinued that board many years ago due to lacklustre sales and I don't have one drifting around in the lab. There have been a few cases where someone needed a specific revision of a board or a custom version of one of my circuits. In those cases, I have manufactured a small handful and charged my consulting rate for the work. That's a possibility here as well. @dBe can reach out to me directly if interested.

It's not clear to me that the PCB is the cause of the trouble, so how about doing some debugging first? If the supply isn't providing the expected output, measure whether it receives the correct mains voltage at the input pins to the SMPS brick. If one of the bricks is defective, replace it. That can be a challenge without the proper tools, but it is possible. Last I checked the Mean Well IRM-60 series is still available.

I'm happy to participate in the debugging either here or off-line. I'm sure @poseidonsvoice will be happy to help too.

Tom

Reactions: 3 users
4 MeanWell AC/DC converters
2 China relays
2 Fuse
4 Inrush current limiters
2 Vanilla Diode

What's so special about this PCB?
I would say; perfect moment to invest some time learning KiCad and make your own.

BTW: Inrush current limiters can get freaking hot, so keep wires away from them.

Tom, if you will remember I emailed you about a replacement. That is why I posted here.

It was not my intention to open a can of worms. All I wanted was to see if anyone had a stash of unbuilt projects like I do. Everyone just needs to chill and cut TC some slack. I can do a repair, but it simply made sense to ask. I'm old enough to appreciate easy.

I'm not new. I went through all of the standard trouble shooting: checking voltages; checking parts for viability; etc. problem is that when I tried to remove the SMPS I lifted the solder pad and through hole plating on the output side of the supply.

I'll just repair my mistake...

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you really-really-really want a PCB I can have more made. I just don't want that to become my default mode of operation because restarting manufacturing is a fair amount of work for a minimum gain. Contact me by email if that has your interest. They won't be cheap... Just saying...

I do recall being contacted about the availability of the SMPS-86 and I'm sure my answer was that I don't have any in stock. That's entirely true. I don't have any more SMPS-86 in stock and have no plans to make more.

I have no objections to you asking whether someone out there had a few boards kicking around. In fact, I often suggest that those who want one of my old boards ask here because they do pop up in the Swap Meet on occasion. What I was reacting to here was the speculation by @rsavas that I wasn't supporting my products. That seemed unnecessary.

Tom

Tom, I understand the situation. As an industry guy I have absolute understanding of your position. Somethings just outlive their profitability. I knew it was a long shot and I posted my question in the wrong place. I don't hang out here.

There is always "that guy" on every forum that feels obligated to try to whip conversations into a tornado. Meh...

The reason I wanted a board is for resale value. Botched boards are often a deal killer. I'll just fix it.

Okay everyone: as you were.

Reactions: 1 user