Klippel Near Field Scanner on a Shoestring

For now I am going to try to use the board I posted above with the TMC 2209 stepper drivers to see what noise they make. That will determine if the mechanics need a counterweight for the z. I need to finish the ARTA turntable to see if I want to use that for the rotation like you have or try to use a belt driven platform with the 3rd axis of the board.

I think I will start with just having the arm move up and down and round and round. The in and out for dual layers can be done in two measurement steps physically changing the distance for r by sliding a mic mount back. If it is truly necessary to measure top and bottom surfaces then in and out can be motorized later.

The structure will be either aluminium tubes or v-slot. I want to design for 2m of travel vertically. I want it to be as light and minimal as possible but stiff enough to be accurate. I think that will need some trial and error to get right.

Reactions: 1 users
Indeed v-slot and/or linear gliders. Also the rotation axle with igidur rotation bearings.
I really like linear rails or rods from a movement perspective, but I have come to the conclusion that they will be too heavy for what I want to do. As much as I dislike V-Wheels I have a lot of them and they are light.
Weight/stiffness is a challenge. Those alu profiles are not particularely stiff.
The V-slot profiles are pretty good at least in 2040 size or larger. I built a torsion box out of 2040 to sit under my CNC and it is very stiff in this configuration. The C-Beam is really stiff, but too heavy without rolling support underneath, which then needs a level floor.

1716762284376.png

Reactions: 1 user
@fluid Does that mean that you are starting a build also?
I have the slewing bearing. It will require a preload I am fairly sure. I have yet to decide to I go with T slot or go with Baltic Birch Stressed frame members. I have the BB. I am watching how you are getting along. Literally right now I am completing one woofer prototype that I designed for a client. I need to do the acoustical measurements on an IEC baffle that I need to replace. And an AMT datasheet that also requires some careful measurement on an IEC baffle. After this I am hoping to have enough bucks left over to buy the materials that I don't have. This is my 9 to 5. Not a hobby. And right now I don't have a contract that allows billable hours and steady pay.

So, is it getting built? Yup. Have I started? Yup. Will it be this week? I wish :)

Reactions: 1 users
It's a drawing artefact. I didn't bother to throw the top and bottom cap measurements away. You see measurements at different radii. There is no hint of this 'discontinuity' in the fit, because there isn't any to begin with and the evaluation of the fit is done only for the cylinder wall.

Reactions: 1 user