Hafler DH-500/P500 Mods

Hey gang. I have a Hafler DH500 with one dead channel, at least that is what my note says. I will need to dig it out of my storage trailer and have a look.
I really have no use for yet another high power amp. I am trying to lighten the load.
If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

View attachment 1287090
IMG_5303.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I am looking at using the DH200C circuit boards in a Dynaco Stereo 400 rebuild. The mechanical fit looks tight but ok. I have 2 concerns I would appreciate comments on:
1. For one channel, the wiring length from the AFE and OPS for one channel will be rather long, estimate is 12 inches (300 mm), then another 3 inches to transistors.

2. The Dynaco heatsinks are prepared for 2 pair of output transistors. Is this enough for amplifier with +/-74 VDC rails? (I hope so, that is all the matched Exicon TO-3 transistors I have).

I have been using DH500C and like it a lot, so I hope similar upgrade to the Dyna 400 will work out.

Glad hear your feedback on the DH-500c design.
I took a quick look at that Dynaco design. It specifies two complementary pairs of 200w bjt output devices.
Single die exicons are rated at 125w and dual dies at 250w so dual die devices would be the preferred devices for that supply V imo.
As far as wiring length goes, it’s something that needs to be tested out for oscillations and stability.
No easy answer as far as a simple yes or no since you are deviating from the intended application of the original design.

Thank you for comments re. using DH200C in a Dynaco 400 rebuild. Using the dual die Exicon is a good recommendation, so I have gone ahead and ordered some. Profusion has very limited stock left on these.
I understand I am taking my chances with the new application. Closer inspection of the Dynaco shows the OPS may not fit - I may have to lay out a narrow OPS circuit board. Should be fun.